Menu
K_C
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

removal of old external cabling

Hello

There are Virgin cables running across the frontage of a property in Kensington, which have halted important works.  

Kensington and Chelsea Council confirmed that there is a legal requirement to replace a tree after removing the existing tree (including the stump) and to replant in this location.   

Unfortunately, the cables are causing a health and safety issue.  Specifically, they are too close to the remaining stump of the tree and the party wall.  The contractors (Treecare) cannot continue with the works until they are removed. 

We would like to request that these cables are disconnected and capped off at the pavement, where they are connected to a small square access panel.  

Please can you confirm whom I can speak with in order to coordinate the removal of the Virgin cables?  The homeowners must be present when such works take place to ensure the necessary access to their property.

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: removal of old external cabling

Posting some photographs usually helps the VM forum team decide on the best response to the situation.

Are these cables linked only to the property in question or other properties as well? Are the cables serving any current VM customers?

The actual function of the cables, and how they are routed, may determine how easy/difficult they are for VM to deal with.

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

HI there @K_C

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry to understand that some of our cables are causing some issues with a tree?!

Moving cables is not an easy or quick task I'm afraid - they can't just be disconnected and capped off as they could be connecting numerous homes in the area. As assessment would need to be done and a possible re-route of our cables and infrastructure planned. It can cause weeks of disruption to the local area and customers.

Are you the homeowner in question or a concerned 3rd party? 

We would be happy to pass on the details of the location to our divisional works team for you - they can then contact the homeowner (if not yourself) to arrange the initial assessment and see what can be done to assist them further. 

As advised by our user @goslow - any pictures you may have of the wires and issues would be very helpful indeed. 

I'll pop you a Private Message so we can get some location details from you and contact information for the relevant parties - please look out for a purple envelope and pop me a reply when you can. Feel free to post any pictures on this thread for ease. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there K-C

Thanks so much for your Private Messages  and for the picture - we can see that from here. 

I have contacted both the Area Manager for the area along with our Divisional Works team to see what can be done to assist the homeowner. We will more than likely need to visit to assess the area before any decision has been made. They have been provided with the address, pictures and contact details of the homeowner and will be in touch with her directly if they need further information. 

I am sorry but we do not have a timescale for this to be done - if I have any updates for you from this end, I will of course let you know. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @K_C

Thank you so much for the update about the visit - glad that everything has been sorted out for you and the homeowner 🙂 

I will ensure to pass the feedback you provided in your Private Message onto the teams for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team