Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Sorry we missed four engineer appointments. Please wait two weeks and pay £35."

If you’re a long-standing customer, you may be under the impression that Virgin Media is so obsessed with new customers that it fails to pay any attention to you. You’ll be pleased to hear that they are just as atrocious in their treatment of brand new customers.

Here's my experience:

• 30th June AM: An installer arrives and claims they cannot install broadband because it is too hard and the cable will have to travel too far. They tell me to cancel the contract and switch to another provider. Promising start…
  • 30th June PM: Another installer arrives to do the external work. They had no idea about the previous conversation and said it was a pretty easy install. I confirmed I had the landlord’s permission. They laid the cable to my house and said another engineer would be on the way later that day to install indoors. That engineer doesn’t turn up.
  • 1st July AM: I call Customer Services. The engineer will actually be coming today. I wait in all day. No one turns up.
  • 1st July PM: I call Customer Services. Turns out the engineer had filed a false report saying that the property was pending landlord permission and no work could be done - except they never actually called or turned up. I’m told an appointment has been booked in for the next day.
  • 2nd July AM: I call Customer Services in the morning to check the appointment went in. It hadn’t. And no engineers were available until the following day. They book in an engineer to visit the following day and complete the install.
  • 3rd July AM: I call Customer Services in the morning to check the appointment went in. This time it had. I wait in all day. No one turns up.
  • 3rd July PM: I call Customer Services. Turns out the engineer was sent to check the exterior (not an internal install) and filed a false report claiming they had inspected the property. But no one visited the property. I have a window and am working from home and can see everything. No one came here.

I am then told I must now wait two weeks until 17th July for someone to come and complete the install, as all engineers are “booked up because of COVID.” This, obviously, is the wait time for a new customer who signs up for broadband that day. Not a customer who Virgin Media has missed four appointments for.

It was then suggested I may have to pay a £35 installation fee for this new appointment, which they then decided to waive (great, thanks…). No mention of course for the automatic compensation I’m entitled to under Ofcom rules.

So here’s my question:

If you’re one of Virgin Media’s Customer Services team on this forum, what can you do to prioritise this appointment, move it forward so that I am not stuck at the back of the queue and make sure that the engineer actually turns up this time? I will clear my schedule to make it work for you, but I need this installed ASAP.

If you can’t move it, it’s not entirely clear why I shouldn’t rip out the cable you’ve already installed, chuck it in the street, and book another provider who will arrive within 2 weeks anyway?

If you’re a Virgin Media customer, grateful for any tips on how you have managed to escalate complaints or otherwise how we can put pressure on this de facto monopoly provider (for non-ADSL at least) to change its practices?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Sorry we missed four engineer appointments. Please wait two weeks and pay £35."

Once the cable is installed on your property it becomes a utility cable which means it doesn't belong to you. It belongs to virgin media in this case and if you interfere with it you could be hit with charges. So don't. You can however request an virgin engineer to remove it 😉 but they may charge for this service. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Sorry we missed four engineer appointments. Please wait two weeks and pay £35."

Haha, of course! Does make you wonder if the emotional satisfaction would make it worth it though.

I'm not actually going to do that, but I do seriously find it incredible that they do not prioritise customers where they have failed repeatedly to do their job. Why wouldn't you just switch to another provider who offers the same wait in my situation? Aside from their de facto monopoly status on broadband speeds over 70 MBs, obviously...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi how appalling i would be inclined to go with another supplier, and don't tell tell them then if an engineer did appear from outer space you would have the satisfaction of telling them I've wasted virgins time not mine. Regards Micky
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The question is did they repeatedly fail to come out, or the more likely scenario is that the customer support advisor in india (or wherever they are now) just said whatever they thought would get you off the phone in the fastest time because of the amount of calls in the queue? Ie, you only actually got 2 appointments and both turned up, the other two never actually existed, then when someone actually did their job and arranged one you got a real date and time. 

Remember when comparing ISPs, faster does not always mean better. If you need to download files as fast as possible then Virgin are great but if you require fast response times then there are better ISPs. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

theres a couple of VM people on at the moment [not literally] who might be able to help so lets see if i can get one to look at the thread

one for you @VM-Jon 

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, that's really helpful. You may be right on your first point. Customer service did say there are two reports on file since Tuesday, one on Wednesday and one today, from engineers who claim to have come out. And on Tuesday, I received a text confirmation that I would have someone complete the install that day, which never happened. But the other one clearly was never booked in.

Of course it's incredibly confusing why they could supposedly book all these next day appointments, and now suddenly there are none for two weeks.

I'll have a proper look at competitors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And of course, as a further sign that they are taking this very seriously, I've this morning had an email saying it's been delayed from the morning slot to the afternoon slot on 17th July.

You just can't make this stuff up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: Customer Service have agreed to move it forward to 11th July, which seems more reasonable. Fingers crossed they arrive...