Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

quick start activation and wifi speed

have had horrendous problems (and personal anger issues!) trying to get broadband / phone up and working.

Broadband hub3 plugged in just fine.....no hassles excepting wifi speed is consistently only 40 -44 mbs as opposed to the 100 mbs intended. The low wifi speed does not appear to have anything to do with the phone type / laptop or tablet. All recording same low speed and they are only connected one at a time....so nothing to do with `sharing' either. When I connect my laptop direct (ethernet cable) i do get 108 mbs speeds but the idea of wifi is that we should be able to dispense with cables..... 

Its also nothing to do with proximity to other items such as tv's etc......tried that too!

Anyone any ideas /assistance. The VM technical sup[port is impossible to get hold of.

As for telephone.......well, i ordered broadband and phone and asked for my current landline number to be transferred. i did this 30/10 and asked for the starter pack to be delivered 6/11. The starter pack didn't arrive until 10/11 and the phone line hasn't worked at all....until today, when I borrowed a virgin media supplied phone cable from a friend. Again, technical support has been impossible to access and as a result i've been without 50% of the contracted services since commencement. They must have sent me a faulty cable to start with. At least i can now use the VM provided phone line......but i had to keep my old line anyway (at my expense!). My other provider has advised me that VM has now requested a transfer of the number to happen on 27/11.

Am tempted to tell VM where to place their hub3 and exceptionally poor service (none) provided to a new customer. Wondering if I should cut and run before things potentially get worse  or hang on in there? Needless to say there is absolutely no response from their billing peops....or any signs of human life at all in relation to `support'. Spent a fortune in time and costs (both chat and telephone) in trying to get hold of some support....all to no avail.

Any practical advice....including any insider info as to how best to make contact with VM and get them to sit up / take note would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: quick start activation and wifi speed

Which Hub do you have ?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Its virgin's `hub3' .

Using my samsung laptop (windows10), speed just tested via Ookla  was 40.46 mbps download and 10.05 mbps upload (only 1 metre from hub).

Using a cat5(+) cable the download speed obtained is 112.51 mbps and 10.04 mbps upload.

Using my samsung A10 phone the speeds are 39.4 download and 9.23 upload.

Ian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK.

That narrows the problem down to your local Wi-Fi.

Unplug the ethernet cable from the laptop.

What is the reported connection speed for the laptop ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

OK.

That narrows the problem down to your local Wi-Fi.

Unplug the ethernet cable from the laptop.

What is the reported connection speed for the laptop ?

It doesn't really matter if the reported speed is 700 mbps as it's normally wrong, and even if it's correct local interference can mean you still get a download speed of < 100 mbps. The only real solution is to not use WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

.....how do i get logged into the hub settings. never tried that one before 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

192.168.0.1 with a browser.  The password is on the base of the Hub.  Unless the landlord has changed it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

according to the devices page, the laptop has a speed of 70.33, but latest ookla test score is 45.43

5gh is activates as is 2.4, not sure if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos