Menu
davidjohnson1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

ports in house work but are not working properly

Hey all,

I joined virgin for my house recently moving in and I wanted to have broadband ready for my move in date, but I was not sure whether i had the correct quickstart ports that i read was needed. I managed to get onto livechat with someone who i asked what i should do. they told me that to go for the quickstart anyway and that if i didnt have the correct ports then i should get back in touch and they would send an engineer to sort it out for me. 

When i finally moved in and checked i found i had ports inside that looked half what i needed, thought i would try set up anyways and found it works, but im consistently getting lower than the minimum speeds. i have tried finding live chat or even a number to call but im getting blank for the last week. 

I am not sure what to do, should the ports i have be fine or should i try get an engineer in to have the proper ports fitted in the house? if so how do i go about getting this sorted?

many thanks for any help provided

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: ports in house work but are not working properly

What devices are you using and how are they connected to the Hub?

0 Kudos
davidjohnson1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I am using multiple devices through wifi, none wired in.  I know I shouldnt expect full speeds over wifi but its dramatically lower than I know it should be. I have also connected my pc via ethernet to test it and it has shown the same speeds as the wifi tests.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi davidjohnson1,

When testing speed you should always do it from a wired connection as VM don't guarantee the wifi speeds, however if your ethernet connection is also slow then the tech guys can offer assistance.

Regarding your wifi speeds. Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click onApply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

You should post your router stats here for the learned members to check what the problem is and offer assistance.

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return.

Don't login, instead below there click on Check Router Status

From the Router Status” page copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You could also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos