on 23-07-2022 10:56
Morning all. Looking to change to Virgin Media (BT getting far too expensive).
I assumed that the virgin media would connect via the Openreach network but looking more into it looks like a new installation would be required. We have just fully modernised/decorated our house and I cant see my dad agreeing to ANY drilling whatsoever as we have previously run BT socket extensions to all parts of the house.
The questions i have are
1) Will virgin run new cables from the street to our house and if so can we choose which side of the house? How will the cable get from the street to our house? digging the garden/driveway?
2) The Virgin TV 360 box.... is it WI-FI enabled? our BT box ONLY connects via an Ethernet cable and we have run an ethernet cable from out current BT hub location under the floor boards to our TV. If it connects via wifi....no issue but if it connects via ethernet then the hub MUST be in the same location as out BT hub (which runs off an extension from our BT master socket).
3) I believe the phone number we have can be ported to virgin BUT now runs through the Virgin Hub (is this a VOIP line). Can a cordless multi phone (4 of them) work off this?
Once i have the answer to these questions i can let my dad decide.
on 23-07-2022 11:52
Hi @jin_dru ,
Welcome to the community, and thank you for considering joining us.
to answer your questions:
1) A cable will be run from the pavement to your property most likely through your garden not your drive. However depending on where the access point is they may need to go across the drive but generally we don’t need to. We will place a box on the outside of your house, you can pick where this goes within reason.
2) The 360 box will connect wirelessly provided the hub is within range. The same with any wireless device really.
3) Yes, you can run the same telephones over our telephone service from the hub.
hope this helps.
Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more
on 25-07-2022 13:11
Hey jin_dru thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community.
Thank you for your interest in joining Virgin Media, as VM-Jon as mentioned these are the steps we would need to take to install the services.
If you are interested in joining us our sales number is 0800 183 1234 and they are open Monday - Friday between 08:00AM - 21:00PM and Saturday and Sunday between 08:00AM - 10:00PM. Thanks
Matt - Forum Team
New around here?