Menu
KitL67
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

new installation - broadband

Hi there. I am completely new to new virgin fibre. Just signed up to their broadband service. Full internal installation is due to take place tomorrow (Monday). Yesterday the subcontractors came round to do the external installation. They asked me where I wanted to install the box on the outside wall. I said I had no idea and presumably it depended on what was required inside (eg does it connect to a box? are wires required? where best to place for good broadband connection?) The subcontractors said they had didn't know anything about that and couldn't help me (!) I said that ideally I wanted the wires to come in through the porch as that's in the centre of the house and where previous router was. They said didn't think they could do that as involved coming through glass. So, as they didn't know what to do, they have just pulled the cable through to end of the garden, and left it (presumably) for the internal installers to sort it out tomorrow.

My question is - How do I get answers to my questions about where is the best place to bring the cable in? Should I have asked for a survey on my property? Will this be a problem when they come to do internal installation tomorrow? [Obviously haven't been able to get through to anyone on the phone as it's a weekend.] 

0 Kudos
Nick451
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: new installation - broadband

hi, this is nick451

you should be able to discuss with the installer were best to locate the broadband hub and any other devices that you are having installed, they can usually route cables to get to most locations around the home so that shouldn't be a problem either. any thing else I could help with please message me

how would you like £50 please get talking to friends and family each one you can refer is worth £50 message me for more details.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What happened? I am guessing that when the internal installer arrived they did nothing and went away - saying they could do nothing until the external omnibox was fitted? Is that right - and if so did they go through the options with you? Some VM installers have a reputation for installing it in the easiest place for them and not where you actually want it locating.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
KitL67
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John

Well the installer arrived and told me where he thought it should go. I went with his advice but will keep it under review. He installed the box it on a temporary fix. Now need to contact Virgin again to get the external fitters to come in again and finish the job....this could go on.....

0 Kudos
KitL67
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank Nick.

Well the engineer came round and told me where he thought the best palce to place the box would be (not via the porch because he said that was just "not possible"). I wet with his advice, but will keep the service under review.

He installed on a tempororary fix, but I now have to get the external fitters in to complete the job. No date proposed as yet. We'll see what happens/

0 Kudos