cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new Hub 5 will not connect

Ashg
Superfast

Got a new Hub 5 today which I did not ask for and had no idea it was coming but that's a different story!

I followed all the instructions and tired 10 times to connect but each time got we cannot find the Hub. It's now back in the box and the old hub back up and running . Seems to be a wast of my time so unless I get someone out from VM FOC this will stay in the box ๐Ÿ˜ 

36 REPLIES 36

Absolutely correct, this doesnโ€™t sound at all right does it? And this business as reported by the OP of there being a QR code on the hub (nobody else has mentioned this), which links to a site called โ€˜alerts4uโ€™, which if you do a web search for, will strongly indicate that this is a scam site.

Something really isn't right here!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think the OP should check what the QR code scanner app on his/her device is up to. Various reports of a range of QR codes from legitimate companies seemingly redirecting to Alerts4u, possibly via a rogue QR scanner app, posted on

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alerts4u.co.uk

And while at it, check for any unexpected charges on his/her mobile bill

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's difficult to see what a scammer could get out of this. They first have to get hold of a Hub5, and the intended victim will know they don't have to pay for it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think the arrival of the Hub 5 and the scamming are unrelated. Coincidental?

Something similar was mentioned last year with a dodgy QR code scan

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Media-Craze-Member-for-VM-Phone-Installation/m-p/512...

and the scam seems to apply to a range of well-known companies who have used QR codes as signups.

Possibly the scammers have identified a range of genuine QR codes (which are signups for legitimate services) and are redirecting those to the scam Alerts4u signup via a QR app?

The user scans a real signup or setup QR code for something legitimate but the QR app redirects to a signup page for Alerts4u and the user has then signed up for premium text messages from Alerts4u.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

But the QR code is on the Hub itself, so not a coincidence.

It's a lot of effort to get someone to sign up for premium texts. Fortunately the OP was wise enough to check. One thing is certain, they need to stick with the existing Hub. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The QR code on the hub can be real/genuine and, with a genuine scanning app, will link to VM (as per the similar forum link above from last year when two VM staff tested with their own QR scanners and found the QR code worked as intended).

It is the scanning app that is a fake/scam. Scams where the QR code itself is fake are more likely to be in public places (car parks, restaurants etc.)

Fairly simple for the scammers to collect a range of legitimate QR codes (the ones I have seen mentioned are for Sky services/setup, Sainsburys Nectar cards, VM services/setup) and redirect those via a dodgy scanning app. Or for the app to scan QR correctly most of the time and just insert a scam redirect every so often. The customer scans the code thinking they are going to sign up for something, unknowingly gets redirected to a scam signup page, enters their details and they are suddenly paying for premium texts at ยฃ1.50 per go.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

OK, that's understood. So OP needs to check their scanning app. 

- jpeg1

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That would seem like a wise precaution and/or check alongside a QR scan with a different device/scanning app from the manufacturer of the device itself or an easily identifiable/reliable app.

@goslow wrote:

I think the OP should check what the QR code scanner app on his/her device is up to. Various reports of a range of QR codes from legitimate companies seemingly redirecting to Alerts4u, possibly via a rogue QR scanner app, posted on

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alerts4u.co.uk

And while at it, check for any unexpected charges on his/her mobile bill

๐Ÿ˜‰

Ashg_0-1690107238364.png

.  I didn't log into anything and was just stating what happened . I'm not green behind the ears๐Ÿ˜‰. As for the app tried a second one and got the same result. Will now dump both. Neither have been a problem up to this scan and have used them for years.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your screenshot is showing a page generated by your hub at first setup on a Windows device.

Where does Alerts4u fit into this?