Menu
skintscouser
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

my wall socket is not shown in the quick start installation guide

Hi. Sorry I'm new here and I'm hoping that someone can help me please.

The lad who recently signed me up to virgin (last thursday) told me that the OVH flat I currently live in apparently "had virgin media previously installed in the property" and he chose the quick start option for me so he'd be able to waive the installation fee.

I searched high and low around my entire one bedroom shoebox for any sign of a virgin media socket, including searching for the two alternative wall sockets pictured in the quick start installation guide and I cannot for the life of me find them anywhere!

Now I'm basically stuck with a router that I can't plug into my home built gaming pc (which runs on ethernet only as I don't have a wireless card or the money for one) which means I am forced to pay for an extra month of broadband with my previous ISP that I'd rather not use and I can't tether my OnePlus to the PC.

Was virgin really installed at the property on a previous occasion? was the lad from virgin just trying to waive the installation fee for me? or did my social landlord get their "contractors" to remove the virgin wall socket just before I moved into the property in 2018?

Someone please try to help me if you can. I will ring up the landlord first thing tomorrow and see what they say about it so I know if it's an issue caused by them.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: my wall socket is not shown in the quick start installation guide

is this a house of multiple occupancy? If so, it might be that the "Property" is served but not your specific room.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
skintscouser
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No, I live in a one bedroom flat inside a small block of flats that's owned by a housing association.

EDIT: OVH is the initials of my social landlord, that is where you may have got confused about the house of multiple occupancy thing.

I have also found a socket that looks old and dusty. I will upload photos to this thread when I re-open it in chrome (firefox focus doesn't let me upload images)

0 Kudos
skintscouser
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vgqsi8z80x5gzcf/AAAsh1D8IyxCAdeNhdZ5np4ia?dl=0

here are the wall socket photos, I couldn't upload them on here because the file size is too big and Imgur wouldn't let me upload without downloading their app (big no no imo)

I have rung up customer service and an engineer is coming out next monday between 1 and 6pm to take a look inside the property

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

those aren't virgin sockets

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
skintscouser
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

😞

looks like the lad was trying to waive the installation fee for me so the engineer would have to come out and sort it out for free.

thanks for your help tho, much appreciated and havea boss day!

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apart from the fact that if a quickstart installation is changed to an engineer installation there's a £35 manned installation fee added to your next bill... 

0 Kudos