Menu
Stevejay
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

movement of all virgin media equipment

Hi - there is a question at the end ...

We are in the process of having our house modified to provide a new kitchen / Diner (all allowed under COVID regs). As part of this move the main feed from Virgin into my house will have to be moved. Virgin have said they won't do this within my timescale and they will let me know when they are able to do it. I appreciate COVID and all that but Virgin just denying the fact that people need to move equipment is appalling...

As there isn't any choice here - I do it now or the equipment will be removed by the builders and  I face going with no TV / Broadband and home phone until Virgin decide to call me, plus the risk that builders will damage something.

However  as I need to move this myself now, can anyone tell me what the recommended cable is for exterior runs of the virgin service?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: movement of all virgin media equipment

As far as we can tell you are in VM's hands at the moment as to when they will be able to move the connection. VM have a prime duty to protect their techs from unnecessary and non-essential exposure to Covid risk. VM are also restricting new customer installs to the bare minimum, using quick start packs where they can. Where a VM service has been interrupted because of a breakdown or fault inide or outside the home they will, of course, sort that out.

If you attempt to interfere or alter or add to any of the VM cabling inside or outside your home you are in breach in your contract. That cabling is part of VM's network. It is VM's property not yours. The cabling is exclusive to VM. It is not available to the public. This is what will happen if you do attempt to alter it. You will be charged in full to replace it with proper cabling in due course if your service is affected as it will be. If you introduce noise to the network (which you almost certainly will and which VM can detect remotely) you be charged for the compensation that has to be paid to others on your network segment for loss or degradation of service.  The standard charge for non-fault related work is £99. You expose your self to much, much more than that.  If your breach and actions are so egregious VM will withdraw your services entirely.

I expect VM staff here will want to comment to. But they are busy at the moment sorting out the urgent issues that require immediate attention so it may be a while before they get to this thread

I hope you appreciate that I have been plain and direct with you, not for reasons of personal animus, but to be sure that you have full and proper understanding of the situation. Now you need to sort a sensible plan for your alterations to the house based on a full understanding of the position.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Stevejay
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Ok, understood - so I'm on a timescale, the work has started and i have slowed it down to get the kit moved - the builders will come and remove the wall on which the equipment comes into the house; what am I supposed to do if Virgin won't come out?

That's a serious question as do nothing isn't an option!

I'll also comment that the girl I spoke to on 151 said it was ok to do it myself as they couldn't come out

Thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You will have to wait until VM answer in this thread. I don't work for VM. I just base my advice of years of helping on this Forum and my own knowledge of how VM work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Stevejay
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

ok, Thanks - for the benefit of Virgin Media - 99% of the work can be done outside my house - if I forget the phoneline which I barely use 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've thought about this carefully in the last few minutes. I would be wary of doing anything myself.  Based on my own installation you can open the white internal box and disconnect the incoming black (usually) cable from the internal splitter and pull it back through the wall. That will free up the connection for your TV and broadband.  Put the splitter and its attached coax cables out of harms way and keep the box safe too. However leaving the incoming cable bare risks the introduction of noise to the network unless it is professionally and expertly capped off which you will not be able to do.  Your electrician might be able to advise or help. The phone connection is equally problematic, but could be tackled in roughly the same way.

But let me make this clear I am not a VM employee. I read what you tell me the VM C/S agent said. I don't like the sound of any of this. I wouldn't do it myself. I am not advising you what to do. On your own head be it. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good advice from Howard. I am pretty sure that if you just let the builders "get on with it" they will make a dogs breakfast of it in terms of "isolating" the network connection. There's a strong possibility then that "noise" will get into the system that will affect all of the other VM customers using your street cab. They will not be happy and the VM faults line will light up.

I would try calling in again at 08.00 (best time) and use options 1,1,4,4 and you should get through to someone who can at least direct you to the right people - I would also record the conversation in case the agent does say its ok for you to just do it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Stevejay
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I made at least three calls to Virgin Media, the last one I remember well because i was expecting it to go over the 2hr mark - instead it was 1hr:54m. I finally got VM to book me a visit to move the kit after i explained the situation. The following day I had a  text cancelling the call; no reason, no one called me to ask how urgent my request was or how COVID safe we were, just cancelled it.

I phoned back that day and was cut off three times by people who couldn't or wouldn't do anything. I ended up with a call handler that tried to convince me that I wasn't the account holder - it turns out she didn't know Stephen was pronounced 'Steve N'. I finally got through and was told VM can't help not doing moves; when I asked what else I could do she said - you can always move it yourself.

I don't hold out much hope but, when the builders start in earnest the system will go down as it will be exposed to the weather when the rear wall is removed. At that point I will lose all my services as the power will be off to the back of the house. No Broadband, no phone, no TV

We have a 93 year old we are trying to make more comfortable in our bungalow by re-arranging the accommodation to provide better access for her and we will be left with no TV for her and no emergency phone - great!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - If you try at 08.00 you have a better chance of getting a clued up UK agent rather one located in a far away land that is trying to deal with an issue that isn't printed on their scripts.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Stevejay
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I will try again

Steve

0 Kudos