Menu
Mags21
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

isolator cable not going in NTL socket

Hey all,

So I'm trying to set up my new hub and I have a NTL wall socket. I had virgin media previously. I removed the old isolator cable still in the wall socket (yes, I now realise I probably should have just left it in and connected it to the new hub. But I didn't think I'd run into this problem). Turns out the old isolator was held in place with tape! Now the new isolator cable won't fit. 

How can I fix this?

20210118_131320 (2).jpg

Thanks

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: isolator cable not going in NTL socket

That's a push fit cable.

Why not show a picture of the wall socket so someone can see if damaged.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Looks like the end has come of the co-ax cable, hence the tape.  It should just be a matter of refitting the end back on. It most likely is a screw on type end, as a crimped end should not have come off.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

Looks like the end has come of the co-ax cable, hence the tape.  It should just be a matter of refitting the end back on. It most likely is a screw on type end, as a crimped end should not have come off.

all VM cable are crimped ends so no way that is screw on as an original cable - as well as a photo of the wall box a photo of the cable end without the tape would be useful

Tony
0 Kudos
Mags21
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So this is the new isolator cable 20210118_184522.jpg20210118_184536.jpg

And my NTL socket 20210118_131407 (2).jpg 20210118_184310.jpg 
                                                                                                          (
sorry couldn't get a clear pic inside the socket) 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Tony, I’ve some screw connections on my ancient NTL install. I guess it’s all down to the age of the installation. 😊

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

the system has not changed from the start - the wall box should have a screw connector which is the outlet from an isolator - if thats been removed then you just have an F type cable end - same as isolator cable but screw fit - the push fit cable is the modern system but they are interchangeable 

if you have an ntl install it should all work - so unless someone has played then its a matter of working out what you have and what goes where

so post some photos of the cable without the black tape and the wallbox and the outlet on it

Tony
0 Kudos
Mags21
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So here's the new isolator cable 20210118_184522.jpg20210118_184536.jpg

0 Kudos
Mags21
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

And the NTL socket 20210118_131407 (2).jpg20210118_184310.jpg

(sorry I couldn't get a clearer pic of the socket)

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The connector looks fine. Are you having issues connecting this to the wall socket? Maybe post a picture of the wall socket here.

You have a self service kit and the cables are push it so yes if you pull hard the cable will come off the socket.

The cables supplied by onsite engineer install are screw fit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos