Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

installation

I was due a broadband and phone installation between 13:00 and 16:00 yesterday, 4 November.  My Welcome letter promised that the technician would call ahead to give me an ETA.

No one phoned, but when I looked out of the window at 16:48 there was a Virgin Media van outside.  By the time I had opened the front door it had driven away.

A frustrating phone call ensued, the Virgin Media representative promising that the technician was stiil on his way to my property, me saying that he had come and gone away without a ring on the doorbell or the promised phone call.

I waited until 18:00, but, needless to say, the technician didn't return.

I have been completely unable to contact VM to find out what is going on and, as much to the point, there has been no attempt to apologise or explain from VM.  

What do I now do?  Cancel the contract (I'm still within the cooling off period) ?  Or does someone have a contact number that works so that I can find out what is happening.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: installation

One of the most frustrating things about VM is the inability to speak to a human who understands the problem, knows what is going on, and can help - particularly with new installations, and you're currently stuck in that limbo of not knowing what is happening.  

Sadly I can't help with that, but I would suggest you don't cancel the installation out of frustration (or at least, not yet).  Presumably you wanted VM for its speeds, or a particularly attractive offer?  When VM is installed and working it is reasonably reliable (albeit not perfect), it is fast, and the majority of problems can be resolved effectively, so the dismal customer service is not something most customers have to suffer.  

Obviously I'd suggest you keep cancelling as an option, because sometimes (very rarely, I should add) VM manage to string out new installations for months and there might then be a point where you say enough is enough.  The penalty free cancellation runs for fourteen days after the service is installed so you're not losing any rights by waiting now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Andruser says - hang on in there - but don't cancel any current broadband supply you may have until VM is installed - just in case!

If you dont have the number, the Pre-installation and Delivery team may have more info.

On.. 0800 052 1734

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the Virgin engineer didn't knock, they might have been just checking that everything was in place externally for the interior technician to arrive and finish the job. 

Can you login to your online account and check if the installation hasn't been rescheduled ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses peoples.

That a communication company should have difficulty communicating is one of life's conundrums.

I don't believe that they were looking to see if the exterior work had been done because it's a new house (with cable duct to the boundary in anticipation of the glorious day when it might receive a cable) and it should have been obvious that nothing had been done.

And I'm unable to cancel an existing supply because (new house etc.) there isn't one.  But I do need a wireless network so that I can finalise the setting-up of the boiler and the alarm.

Thanks for the installation team number.  I will give that a try in the morning.

0 Kudos