Menu
WPS
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

installation external work at a leasehold conversion flat

I've ordered an installation to be done on the 7th of July. I received a text message saying external work needed to be done before the install. My new home is a leasehold first-floor conversion flat. The garden belongs to the neighbour on the ground floor, which would be an issue if they need access. 

What external work do they need to do? And do I need to get permission from the freeholder? Any advice?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: installation external work at a leasehold conversion flat

Is there already a VM cable coming from the street to service your home or one coming to the building generally? If not, that is what the external work may refer to.

If this has to be installed, it may involve either digging the cable into the ground or laying the cable on the surface in a green flexible conduit depending on the ground cover between street and building.

WPS
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Is it safe to assume that there is NO VM cable connected to my new home? Otherwise, I wouldn't have received the text message asking to do external work.

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, if you can't see a cable coming to your property then they'll need to install one, which will be a problem if they can't access the flat below you - they won't need internal access but they'll need to run a cable across the grounds and possibly up the exterior wall.

I'd definitely ask the freeholder, as there might already be a utility duct that VM can use to install the cabling.

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@WPS wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Is it safe to assume that there is NO VM cable connected to my new home? Otherwise, I wouldn't have received the text message asking to do external work.

Thanks again. 

When 'external work' is mentioned on here, it typically refers to installing a cable outside.

VM installations for brand new customers usually happen in two stages. Stage 1, a cable is brought from the street to the property and an external connection box (referred to as an 'omnibox') is fitted somewhere outside. Stage 2, a VM tech runs cable from the omnibox to the inside of the property being served, which may involve drilling through the wall. If there is an existing VM cable running to the building, and the building contains flats, the connection may sometimes be split from the existing connection. That is sometimes done as a workaround if there is a problem installing a new cable.

If you are not the freeholder, and don't have access rights to the garden, then you should make some further enquiries about what you are entitled to do under your leasehold agreement. Quite often the external teams turn up unannounced or on a different day/time to that given and just start work installing the cable. If you are actually having a cable installed, that might cause you a few issues down the line if you don't have permission to do such activities.

Are you occupying the property at the moment or about to move in? If you are able to have a look around outside, see if there is any sign of a VM omnibox outside already such as the example in message #4 in the link below (might be grey in colour or a slightly different shape/size).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Brown-outdoor-junction-box-missing/td-p/4008542

That might at least give you an idea if there are already any existing VM services to the building. You could also ask your ground floor neighbour if they have ever had VM installed.

One of the VM forum team will pick this up in the next day or two and may be able to tell you something more specific.

WPS
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot. I can foresee many issues if there isn't a cable. 

I haven't moved in yet and am just finding out from the seller whether the flat has VM cable installed. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If a new cable is to be laid you will need permission (known as a wayleave) from anyone whose property is crossed on the way to your flat.

If you don't get this and the owner of that property objects to the work done it can cause legal problems. .

Check your lease for any restrictions that may apply. 

0 Kudos