Menu
rpatel2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

humming sound from Hub

Hi

I currently have the hub in my bedroom and it keeps making a humming sound which only recently became noticeable.

When i got this hub, it definitely wasn't an issue, but it's quite annoying now. 

Tried the basic things like turning the hub on/off and changing electrical socket etc. But still getting the humming noise from the hub.

Unfortunately, I don't have any compatible power supplies to change over, hence cannot test another power supply. 

Can someone please advise on how to resolve? 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: humming sound from Hub

Which Hub is it ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Continuous humming, or intermittent?  And is this a typical 50 Hz tone?  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rpatel2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's continuous humming

I have a superhub 3.0

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 10 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

In the meantime have you got an old spongy mouse mat that you can stand the Hub on to stop any transfer of the noise vibration into the furniture.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If it's mains hum, then it's not going to be coming from the hub, as that only gets 12V DC, and the likely cause is a loose winding in the transformer in the PSU "brick".  You can check if that's the source by covering the brick firmly with a cushion, see if that reduces the noise.  That's for testing purposes, DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OVER THE PSU IT WILL OVERHEAT AND BE A FIRE RISK.

If it is clearly the PSU brick, then you can try phoning it in, or if you can confirm that it is the source then forum staff can get a new one posted out.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos