Menu
bizza
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

hub light goes from solid red (modem mode) to white, to flashing white - around 10 times in the last week

everything has been fine for months.

all of a sudden last week, i noticed the internet went offline, looked around the monitor to see the hub lights change as stated in the subject line. Within a few mins, it's back online.

so I forgave a single instance of this. however as it's been repeated a number of times now inside a week I'm looking to Virgin Media to pinpoint and resolve the issue (as soon as you manage to grab your mobile and fire up the app/access the website and 'test the connection', everything is back online so it doesn't detect an issue).

The two times I've managed to get the 'test the connection' to fail when the problem occurred (as I happened to have the mobile next to me), it allowed me to log a 'contact me via messenger' on the iOS app. However this is when the frustration elevates further as the customer service people (including the apparent 'technical team') just stick to a script and won't deviate.

Being connected via ethernet or wireless has no influence as to the whole hub restarting itself. That is the battle i'm facing the Virgin customer service team to understand. 'Trying a different ethernet port on the hub' -- why, it's all working now. 'Oh its working now. Great. Can I resolve the issue'. 'No, i want you to tell me why it went offline'. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Frustrated customer. Everytime I have to start again.

Can one of the forum team help investigate or to escalate this to a technical team member who doesn't just work from a script?

Having a stable internet connection, during these covid times, is especially important.

Cheers, Bizza.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub light goes from solid red (modem mode) to white, to flashing white - around 10 times in t...

Hi bizza,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having. I have taken a look on our side and I can see that there is congestion issue in the area. 

The reference for this is: F008012971. 

The current estimated fix time is 16 SEP 2020 17:15

^Martin

0 Kudos
bizza
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub light goes from solid red (modem mode) to white, to flashing white - around 10 times in t...

thanks for the reply Martin.

So a congestion issue will cause the whole hub to reboot?

Is this a normal length of time to resolve such issues as over 2 months away seems a long way off?

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

A fault like this wouldn't normally affect the hub to reboot. At this point in time though we would need to have the issue resolved before we can start exploring other options. 

All of our fix times are estimates. Meaning that it could be resolved prior to that date. I can assure you though that the team will be working to resolve this as soon as possible. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
bizza
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Could you perhaps be a bit proactive and check the logs on the router to ensure that it’s rebooting due to the issue you suspect?

i’m loathed to wait until this congestion issue is resolved, only for the problem to continue.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi bizza,

Apologies for the delayed response. How has your connection been since your post. Congestion isn't likely to be the reason for the rebooting, although I wouldn't rule it out. Having a remote look at your setup and logs. I'm not detecting anything that would be show as a reason for the reboots. Some other factors to consider might be due to cabling, connectors and splitters. If possible check that the cabling is secured or remove any splitters that you might have as part of your set up.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
bizza
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey, it keeps happening. It happened again this morning at 09:22. There are no splitters or connectors. The cable comes in through the outside wall into your wall connector and straight into the router. All the cables are tight. Again, would a cable issue cause the router to reboot? Surely a cable issue would just cause the router to go from a red light to a green light? (i'm only saying it reboots, as the light goes from solid red to solid white, then flashing white etc - so I'm assuming this is a reboot). There are other electrical items plugged into the same power socket and none of them have an issue (to rule out a power issue).

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for replying, it does show an uptime of 6-7 hours so that would be around the time of the reboot. So the hub is rebooting.  I can attempt to reset the hub from here or if you are able to press the pinhole switch in the back of the hub to reset your hub. If the fault is including noise on the line then in some instances rebooting can occur.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
bizza
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ive just been called from a number i dont recognise claiming that they are virgin media and due to my hub issue that is “over populated” are offering a free upgrade to the hub 4. Obviously i didnt hand out any details. Is this true? I see from ispreview that this is being done to some customer in areas where their broadband is “over subscribed” as the hub 4 can bond with more channels compared to the hub 3. 

if it is true, can you forum moderators arrange this?

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi bizza,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you please advise me when this call took place? 

Moving customers to the Hub 4 can help resolve high utilisation issues, as the Hub 4 has 31 downstream channels, as appose to 24 on the Hub 3 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos