Menu
hirenvadz
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

help- New install

Hi, 

Always been with BT, now moving in a new house and getting Virgin. The previous owners had virgin in place, so I can see a brown Virgin box outside the house, and a white wire running into the living room. This is where my Virgin TV will stay. However, for broadband, I wanted my Virgin router upstairs on the first floor.  The property is being rewired so all ceiling out so I am able to run which ever cables required. Which cables would I need to run?? Do I need to run any cables from the brown box to router? or from the living room to router? Have tried to contact Virgin a few times for this but on hold for over 1 hour! 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: help- New install

Hi there

We would need to run any coax/cabling. Have you booked a manned install or gone for the quickstart kit?

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They wont let you run your own coax I am afraid. You could run an ethernet cable and put another router upstairs.
hirenvadz
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Christy, I'm not sure, they said they will get an engineer sent out in a few weeks, however all the wiring in the property being done over the next few days. I am happy to get my builders to run the wiring now, or alternatively if the Virgin engineer can do this Asap for me?  Which Cables will need to be run? 

0 Kudos
hirenvadz
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Christy, I'm not sure, they said they will get an engineer sent out in a few weeks, however all the wiring in the property being done over the next few days. I am happy to get my builders to run the wiring now, or alternatively if the Virgin engineer can do this Asap for me? Which Cables will need to be run?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi you can't buy the cable that virgin use, only virgin will supply and fit it, whatever you or your electrician install virgin won't use except for ethernet. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
nevill37
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What are your reasons for wanting the VM router upstairs? Better WiFi signal or to plug wired devices into it??

As others have suggested i would ask your electrician to run CAT5e or CAT6 from near the virgin box to where you wanted you're router and terminate in a Ethernet wall socket at both ends. You then have multiple options for connectivity upstairs.

You could plug in a 'wireless access point' to give you another wireless network upstairs for full house coverage, the access point can normally be given the same name and pw as the router, in which case any wireless device will switch too the strongest signal automatically. (dont have virgin connected yet so dont know if this works with the virgin hub).

Or you could plug in a 'network switch' upstairs which will allow you to plug in any wired devices (pc/tv/printer etc).

Or both! Some access points have a network switch built in.

sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@nevill37 wrote:

What are your reasons for wanting the VM router upstairs? Better WiFi signal or to plug wired devices into it??

As others have suggested i would ask your electrician to run CAT5e or CAT6 from near the virgin box to where you wanted you're router and terminate in a Ethernet wall socket at both ends. You then have multiple options for connectivity upstairs.

You could plug in a 'wireless access point' to give you another wireless network upstairs for full house coverage, the access point can normally be given the same name and pw as the router, in which case any wireless device will switch too the strongest signal automatically. (dont have virgin connected yet so dont know if this works with the virgin hub).

Or you could plug in a 'network switch' upstairs which will allow you to plug in any wired devices (pc/tv/printer etc).

Or both! Some access points have a network switch built in.

This is solid advice. If you’re having a load of cabling work being done anyway, I’d recommend getting some CAT6 installed at the same time.. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Note that newer V6 boxes require the internet to work, so if you put the router upstairs you still need to get internet downstairs for the TV box to work, and if you have a Smart TV then you may want it for that too. 

Far easier to have both the TV and Hub downstairs, and then run an ethernet cable upstairs which can be done by the builders now and VM don't need to know about it, just plug it in once all installed. 

0 Kudos
hirenvadz
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Reason for wanting router upstairs was for better wifi signal, the property will have a lost extension so will be 3 floors. 

So Running cat6 cables from where the TV box would be to the upstairs room where the router will be? Do i also run a coax able as well, or just cat6? The previous owners had Virgin, and i can see a brown box outside of property, with a white cable running to the living room (I assume this is a coax for Virgin TV), but no other cables I can see .  

Thanks for your help so far! 

0 Kudos