Menu
alistairdann
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

having a new wall socket installed, will my old one still work

Hello,

I am having a new wall socket installed to move my hub upstairs.if the connection is worse, will my old wall socket still work?

Also will the technicial need to remove the old socket?

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: having a new wall socket installed, will my old one still work

Hi yes the original socket will work, no it won't be removed. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

depends what you want - no reason to remove the old one although the signal may be different from each one - that can change by the coax being longer - the tech should check the levels with the hub connected to the new socket and adjust things if needed - if he does not need to adjust things then the hub would work in either socket 

have you booked this as it will cost you £99 for the new socket as its a non fault call out - if you have not booked it then there are other ways to get a connection upstairs that does not involve VM - for example - connect a 3rd party router using a ethernet cable - hub stays where it is you install the router where you want

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If the the tech cuts the cable instead of using a splitter the old socket won't work. You need to tell him if you want the old socket, if not he can remove it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@alistairdann wrote:

Hello,

I am having a new wall socket installed to move my hub upstairs.if the connection is worse, will my old wall socket still work?

Also will the technicial need to remove the old socket?

Thanks

Depends what the tech decides to do. Leaving the old socket live means adding a splitter to the wiring plus adding further coax. This adds resistance to the installation which then requires changes in the cabinet at street level. If you only have the one piece of equipment they may just disconnect the old socket & connect the new one, which may not change the levels at all, cutting out the additional work required..

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos