cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failure to install fibre cable line to my house

jasonO
Joining in

Hi, 

my Virgin media contract started 4th July and the engineer came on that day to set up the boxes. However the fibre cable hadn't been installed so he was unable to complete his task. Fast forward to today and I my install has been rescheduled for the 4th time to 30th August.

The problem is that my cable has to come overhead from a BT pole on the other side of the road and then be threaded through live electric cables which run past my house. To do this the road will need to be temporarily closed but that needs permission from the Highways Agency/ Local Council. I have contacted Virgin at least 10 times and told them what the issue is but to date Virgin do not seem to be able to link up with their 3rd party line installation team to sort out this issue.

I have raised a complaint and written to the CEO who has yet to reply back. I am unsure of who to turn to next as nobody seems to be able to resolve this issue. In the meantime I am left with no landline, no TV, no broadband and no end in sight to this mess.

HELP!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If there's a road closure required, then you're in the unwelcome situation of possibly exceeding the fixed installation budget that VM have, like this want-to-be-customer.  If that is the case, then further failed install dates are likely, and eventually the dysfunctional installation process will clock that your installation may be uneconomic, and if that's the case it will be cancelled.  If that occurs then you're still entitled to the delayed installation compensation at £5.25 per day between your original installation date and the date VM tell you they won't install (technically even beyond that, as in the instances reported here VM don't actually follow the regulatory rules and issue a formal cease notice after ensuring that they have arranged a suitable alternative connection).  If claiming compensation for a cancelled installation, it's regrettably common that customers need to raise a complaint with VM, for that to be fobbed off, and then to escalate the complaint to CISAS (CEDR).  

You may be lucky on costs, but there's the cost of council permits for a street closure, the cost of hire, setup and removal of traffic control signs and equipment, over and above the costs of using (by the sound of it) Openreach infrastructure, plus the circa £75 cost for a simple install at the property.  I suspect that's either very close to or above the likely budget that I reckon to be around £600.  If you're lucky VM will be so disorganised they won't notice the extra costs, and it'll get done anyway.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The issue with internal/external communication is well known with VM.

Then add road closures into the mix, plus liaison with another utility service (if the conductors are un-insulated, safety sleeves will need to be installed).

The advice when installing VM, even when using their own infrastructure, is to overlap services with your previous provider in case third party issues (for which you cannot claim compensation) affect the install.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that. Moving forward how do I get VM to liaise with the necessary parties to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion? Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I certainly would not have cancelled my Sky until this was all sorted but I had no idea there would be this problem.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If there's a road closure required, then you're in the unwelcome situation of possibly exceeding the fixed installation budget that VM have, like this want-to-be-customer.  If that is the case, then further failed install dates are likely, and eventually the dysfunctional installation process will clock that your installation may be uneconomic, and if that's the case it will be cancelled.  If that occurs then you're still entitled to the delayed installation compensation at £5.25 per day between your original installation date and the date VM tell you they won't install (technically even beyond that, as in the instances reported here VM don't actually follow the regulatory rules and issue a formal cease notice after ensuring that they have arranged a suitable alternative connection).  If claiming compensation for a cancelled installation, it's regrettably common that customers need to raise a complaint with VM, for that to be fobbed off, and then to escalate the complaint to CISAS (CEDR).  

You may be lucky on costs, but there's the cost of council permits for a street closure, the cost of hire, setup and removal of traffic control signs and equipment, over and above the costs of using (by the sound of it) Openreach infrastructure, plus the circa £75 cost for a simple install at the property.  I suspect that's either very close to or above the likely budget that I reckon to be around £600.  If you're lucky VM will be so disorganised they won't notice the extra costs, and it'll get done anyway.

Thanks for that helpful answer. Quick question, if I cancel my contract with VM am I still entitled to statutory compensation or do I have to wait for them to cancel my contract with them?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you cancel, the compensation is still payable between the original install date and the date you cancel.  Full details here - in particular the link to the full code of practice at the bottom of that page.  Note that there's no get out clauses - the company can't blame events beyond their control or make up other excuses, but VM's staff often don't understand the rules, even though they're pretty simple.

But why cancel?  Let the compensation keep racking up until they cancel or install.  If they do install the compo is still payable, even if you exercise your 14 cooling off cancellation rights.  And possibly, despite the poor experience, you might decide after a week or so that you think the service works well and you'll keep it (and again, compo still payable).  There's people in this forum have had over a year's delay and then (usually via CISAS) got £5.25 for every day of delay.    

Thanks for that. I don't mind £5.25 a day either but at present I have no TV, no landline and no broadband. I am currently paying £50 a month to Sky for a pay as you go contracton 1 TV only and I am paying £43 a month to EE to have a sim card in a dongle which gives me unlimited data on WiFi through my house. Do I go ahead and start another contract with Sky whilst waiting so that I have all my amenities back and then cancel VM once they finally install my cable (if they ever do) as there is usually a week before cable install and VM box install. Apologies for the multiple queries but it's so nice to finally speak to someone who can apparently provide solutions to my problem.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

In your shoes I'd contract the best available offer from a competitor, presumably Sky, although remember early exit penalties from Sky on a fixed term deal will mean that it would be expensive if you then let VM install and decided you wanted to cancel Sky (if VM ever do install). 

Regarding VM, I'd leave things running until they cancel - and then complain/use CISAS to collect what's due, or if they do eventually install you can cancel in the 14 day cooling off period and do the same thing - the cooling off period doesn't even start until they've got you a working connection.  Or as you suggest, you could possibly cancel between the cable connection being done but before any house installation.

As said, it's always possible VM will pull a rabbit out of the hat and you'll be installed soon and thinking "wow, this is great", so make an informed judgement based on your experience so far of dealing with VM, and the speeds/deal you think you're getting with VM.  You might be a bit peeved if based on an unknown forum poster (me) you locked yourself into an 18 month or so contract with Sky, and 15 or more days later VM sorted the cabling out and would be in a position to offer you a far more attractive package that was what you really wanted.

Ha, ha. Thanks for the advice. I'll take a risk and assume you're not someone who posts bad info just to get someone tied into a long contract with somebody else!! I have to say I couldn't recommend VM to anyone based on their current performance but I was hoping to get a better download speed with them because they would be using updated new cable rather than the old copper from BT. Decisions, decisions!?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Speed remains VM's only differentiated selling point, so do keep that in mind. 

Openreach are upgrading their network to FTTP at a staggering rate, with 39% of UK properties able to order an FTTP connection, increasing by about 10,000 properties a day.  I'm waiting for the stuff recently installed round here to go live, which will end VM's monopoly on connections above 85 Mbps, but all of that's of no use to you if your area is years way from Openreach upgrades.....