Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

extending cable

Hello. I need to put my router in another room so will need to either extend the existing cable or re route it from outside through a wall. Question is, does the virgin broadband cable just use F plugs ? So if i do need to extend can i use a coupler and F plugs ? I may have enough cable and if i do I may need to snip the current connector at destination and then attach another connector, same question can i just use an F connector ? also, is the virgin box low voltage, no danger I hope if I need to go into the box ?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: extending cable

you can't do this. you MUST get virgin media to do this.
It will cost a standard non fault £99 callout

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whats the reason? Its not technically possible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Only VM can change cable lengths otherwise you can upset the balance of power levels for yourself and neighbours.

VM will re-site the Hub for a charge, £99 is today's rate.

But

If you were willing to add an extension cable why not put the Hub into Modem Mode and put an ethernet cable into the route you would have taken with the co-ax and then add a decent gigabit enabled Wi-Fi router or mesh system ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you can also inject noise into the network that will damage it.

just like you are not allowed to modify the power on the power companies side of the meter you can't modify any cabling on the VM side of the modem

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi mooghm, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. 

To avoid any potential damage or disruption to your service we would need to visit in order to relocate the equipment and cabling. 

The community have correctly advised that the visit would be at a cost of £99 and if you would like to go ahead, I would be happy to arrange this for you.

Let me know 🙂 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos