Menu
akkers
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

connecting to network

I just bought a house which is networked (Ethernet cable sockets in each room but no equipment as such). When I get broadband installed, do I just connect the virgin modem to one of the network points and go? Or do I need extra equipment?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: connecting to network

Igbnore the ethernet connections for now.

The BB comes from the Hub which is connected to the network via an internal wall mounted socket and their own white co-ax cable. That internal box is connected to an external (usually brown) "Omnibox" via a cable through the wall. And the Omnibox to your nearest street box by underground cable via a "Tee" located outside your property usually between you and the next door property

Is all/any of that in place ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
akkers
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had virgin broadband at my last house so know how they connect the hub etc.

But here I want to know about connecting the hub/modem to the house Ethernet network.

0 Kudos
jonc_uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A socket in each room is likely 'structured cabling'.

You need to find the other end of the wire for each socket. This could be a bunch of cables with RJ45 plugs on them, or a patch panel which is a row of sockets.

These other ends would need to be connected to a network switch for you to be able to connect from one room to all the rest. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ahh OK - I get it now 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Likely you need a switch where all the cables go too but you might want to look at getting a router too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos