Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

change from Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) to Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP)

When can we realistically expect to move from Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) to Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) In the TS5* area

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: change from Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) to Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP)

There are no plans to move existing coax connections to a full fibre connection.

The current coax network is capable of doing the Gigabit service without the cables themselves being changed (where they are in a good condition), so there is no need to dig everything up.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It would only ever happen if it was cost justified and technology justified. It currently does not meet either criteria. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Coldone wrote:

When can we realistically expect to move from Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) to Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) In the TS5* area

When you consider that the cable equivalent of FTTC (HFC) has been successfully tested at speeds up to 10Gbps, not anytime soon. Virgin are installing RFoG (the equivalent of FTTP) as it has cheaper build costs in new areas, not because it is faster. Even in new areas the fibre is converted to coax inside the home, as it uses the same equipment as HFC.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks