Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

cat6e cable

If I run a cat6e cable from my house to an outhouse ( and into a smart TV) - will I get freeview or do I need to buy an aerial?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: cat6e cable

Assuming you mean from a VM Hub.  You will need to have an input from an aerial for Freeview channels. The ethernet connection will get you access to the streaming channels that you have the Apps for on the TV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

very kind and thanks for the reply!

I think i will stick with the cat6e to get the internet and use the tv for netflix - it may take time to get a new box and virgin engineer!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OK. Have you thought about what to put on the end of the ethernet cable?

It might be worth putting it into an unmanaged GB network "Switch" (~£20) and then connecting the TV and multiple other devices to that by short Cat6 cables - such as games consoles, laptops and a Wireless access point - to get wifi in there for the phones.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos