Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

can i use talk talk youview box

i have switched to virgin broadband from talk talk but kept my talk talk you view tv box. all working but i have lost alot of channels including BT sport (i have an account) have tried to re tune but not channels between 146 and 400 appear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: can i use talk talk youview box

No you can't. You must not connect unauthorised equipment to the VM network and if you want VM TV then, like the rest of us, pay for it please?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bit harsh! I don't want virgin media tv, i only want to access free view channels and the BT sport channel that I already pay for separately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@annemarie2 wrote:

Bit harsh! I don't want virgin media tv, i only want to access free view channels and the BT sport channel that I already pay for separately.

I can't see why it isn't working, as it's just a freeview box at it's heart. I have a Humax Freeview recorder as I dumped VM TV a long time ago, and it does everything I want from TV.  For everything else, I also have a Fire stick.

You have an external aerial installed as well as the Ethernet connected I take it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@annemarie2 wrote:

i have switched to virgin broadband from talk talk but kept my talk talk you view tv box. all working but i have lost alot of channels including BT sport (i have an account) have tried to re tune but not channels between 146 and 400 appear.

All you will have now is the free channels through the aerial from Freeview.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings 

The listing above is dependent on your location. TalkTalk TV provided channels on the box that you paid them for (Channels in the range 300-599). As you have left their sevice you will no longer get them. To get BT Sports you also have to subscribe to a TV platform that carries it (Sky TV, BT TV, TalkTalkTV or Virgin TV).

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's not a "bit harsh" its very annoying for the rest of us that are paying the proper price for our services, when people want to freeload.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@LittleMick73 wrote:
It's not a "bit harsh" its very annoying for the rest of us that are paying the proper price for our services, when people want to freeload.

I don't see anyone freeloading, they are watching free to air TV channels which are free as long as you have a TV license, and a BT sports channel to which they are paying a separate subscription for. 

They don't have to pay Virgin to watch non-Virgin TV channels. That's like saying I should pay Virgin because I watch Sky Movies when I can get it far cheaper by going elsewhere. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I agree that the OP doesn't seem to be doing anything to hurt VM or its other customers. I don't see how the YouView box would allow him to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BT Sports is the OPs major problem, as although the subscription is paid to BT, the box will only give you the channels if you are connected to the TalkTalk or BT TV platforms, as only these have the kit to control the YouView boxes internal CAM unit.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Isn't BT sport like Netflix or Amazon which are independent of platform?

0 Kudos