Menu
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: cable under lawn - how deep, how safe

The pavements were dug up to install the ducts. You should be able to see the path of the filled-in trenches as they are of a different coloured tarmac all the way to the cabinet which is usually a maximum of 150 meters away. However VM has several predecessors who had varying working practices and there are cases of underground pits used to house the tap banks and RF amps.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Andruser
Super solver
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

"One of the wall cable detectors will show the location of the cable, unless it's so deep that it doesn't matter."

That's possibly true, but the detection range of my Bosch cable detector is about 7cm, fine for wall drilling, but somewhat short of the 4 inches we;re discussing here.  I did a quick check to see if it would pick up the buried VM cable, and it didn't - but given the limited range that proves and disproves zilch, I'm afraid. 

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the OP is just unlucky.

In my area they just left it sitting on top of the lawn, so you could kick it out of the way when you wanted to do that area......

And mine doesn't run in a straight line at all.  They ran it under the conifer limbs along our fence line, turned to head to some bushes (under ground between conifer and bushes), runs along the bushes, then exited the bushes and went back under the ground again before finally turning and going to the wall box.  So the overall shape of how it was ran is similar to the letter W.

Re-Pulls in this area often take several goes as some of the teams just up and leave it for another team lol....

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

so after all that, I got the lawns aerated ( ufell out with GreenTHumb, used greensleeves) and stood guard over the danger zoner whiel he poked poles in the test of it.

all good

until last Saturday, my wife hired some tree/bush trimmers and also told them to dig up a root ( which I was not aware of) in the flower bed adjacent to the front lawn, and the idiot put a spade straight through the underground cables! [ 2 cables: 1 x coax for internet+ TV, one thinner one for phone ]

so all services dead, on the phone to virgin offshore ( that must be the only time they actually grasped the problem & did NOT tell me to reboot the hub! ). the transferred us to another dept to arrange a call out - took a  while in the phone queues but got it scheduled for today ( Monday)

I spend most of the weekend panicking about needing to rip up the lawn... the pavement...

Virgin guy came this afternoon, efficiently spliced the cables back together and all is fixed. Impressed with the repair, NOT impressed with the gardeners!

( those guys actually came and said we've noticed a cable so is it safe to dig? I say NO, rushed inside to check internet and its dead already as they'd already hit it where it was underground.

FYI the complete cable run from pavement was under lawn, then mostly under a 30 inch wide flower bed, then cable peeks out and dives back under a concrete strip laid across a path around the ( detached) house and into the Virgin wall point. I was panicking that the concrete would have to be hacked up because elf n safety would not allow even a temp cable across a path... and the house is surrounded by a path

we are going to put a slab or slabs on that patch of soil abutting the grass and probably write DO NOT DIG all over it- better late than never.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How is the connected cable protected, a gel pack?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

well he's re-buried it for us now, but he showed me a gel pack thing he was going to put around the phone cable splice. I did not watch the whole process but I saw him trim the broken ends and begin to put some coax end things on. I guess he just used a pair that slot or screw into each other.. and actually maybe the gel pack goes around both cables, it was about the size of a cigarette pack.

I don't propose to exhume it so long as it keeps working!

Tivo started up immediately, hub came on pretty fast. got dial tone on the phone line OK ( but we hardly use that )

went to fast.com and clocked 220GB which is pretty good for a 200Gb package !

one of our fire tv sticks ( the newest 4k stick) went  into a sulk and needed powercycling before it would find the network, but the older square dongle ones were still good.. Google Home worked, Amazon Echo Alexa sulked and had to be powercycled

my Mailbird email sofware now has a strange bug. its working fine - sending and receiving mail ,but insists its OFFLINE still!. Have messaged their help as stop/start did not clear that message/. It claims to be using " my proxy settings" but I don't have any proxies ???

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it sorted. With a ‘handle’ like yours I would have thought you could have put new cable between your teeth and burrowed under the lawn!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos