Menu
Toto2017
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

breach of the Contractual Terms

Hi,

I have a contract with Virgin Media with a fixed price until November 2021, but suddenly I got a letter in the post saying that my bill is increasing from 01.03.2021

I personally find this as a breach of the Contractual Terms.

What is your opinion?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: breach of the Contractual Terms

Not fixed price, fixed term.

There is a clause in all contracts that prices can be varied during the term of the contract. The get out you have is that for a limited period you can leave without penalty.

Clause K.4 states: "We and/or Virgin Media Payments may change our charges at any time.  Any changes to our monthly charges will be published by us on the Virgin Media website and we will also give you notice of the change(s) at least 30 days before the changes take effect and you may cancel the services affected in accordance with paragraph N.6 without paying an early disconnection fee."

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#payin... 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Toto2017 wrote:

Hi,

I have a contract with Virgin Media with a fixed price until November 2021, but suddenly I got a letter in the post saying that my bill is increasing from 01.03.2021

I personally find this as a breach of the Contractual Terms.

What is your opinion?

It appears to be in the terms and conditions you agreed to when signing a contract with VM:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services 

Changes to prices, terms and conditions and the services we provide to you – See Sections K and N

-  We may increase our charges under this agreement at any time. We may also change these terms and conditions and the services that we have agreed to provide to you.

-  If we do any of these things and the changes are likely to materially disadvantage you we will notify you of this and you can cancel this agreement by giving us 30 days’ notice in accordance with Section N, and you will not need to pay an early disconnection fee.

So to answer your question, no breach that I can see.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The big question is, do you have a fixed price, or do you have a discounted price. Big difference. 

If you have a fixed price, then your bill will not increase during the contracted period. 

If you have a discounted price, then your discount will not decrease during the contracted period (but the base price may increase!) 

If either happen you can leave without charge, as specified in the contract. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Toto2017,

Any discount that you’ve been offered for the 12/18 months will still be honoured – so if you accepted a fixed price then you’ll receive that until the end of the discount period.  If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from the 1st March.

We will advise you in your communication how the price change will affect your deal.

Beth

0 Kudos