cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your equipment on my building

WillABP
Tuning in

Hi, who do I speak to about you putting your equipment on my building without consent?

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

mart1969
Superfast

This sounds interesting, what have they stuck on your house/building?

It's one of the brown box things, but its a commercial building and they've put it right next to entrance, and there is already a cabinet about 20 feet away, with all there equipment that there is consent for.

Ahhh I see...god luck!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The "omnibox" is the link between the street cabinet and the internal VM connection.

So someone inside the building has possibly signed up to have VM BB installed in their part of the building. As its commercial.... is it likely to be a shopholder, small business, office, etc.... Just ask all the tenants.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @WillABP,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I can assure you that we wouldn't have put the omnibox onto your building without gaining consent as @jbrennand advised somebody within your building would have likely been installed with our services.

As this was nearly a week ago, have you been able to get any further information about this?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi, thanks for your reply.  The issue with consent is that they, as tenants, cannot give you consent for works outside of their own demise, so external alterations such as this are expressly forbidden in the lease.  They are required to seek consent from us so we can oversee the install, have it placed correctly, check your RAMS and so on.  Is there a team I can talk to to find out who did this as on the ground I haven't had much luck?

@WillABP I don't think VM will talk to you on the grounds that you are not a customer, and giving you, a third party, details of one of their customers could open up a whole world of pain re. GDPR.

Is it possible that you could trace the cables inside the building from the box and see where they lead to? If so then that'll tell you who is using it, who ordered it and presumably gave the VM installer permission to do it. VM can't be expected to know that said person wasn't authorised to allow the work to be done, they'll just have to take his or her word for it.

The nuclear option, and of course this is not one I could possibly condone, is to open up the box (it's perfectly safe), disconnect the cable connection inside and see who screams!

Thanks for your reply. 

What I was hoping for was to speak to someone, prove our ownership of the building, and then have them contact their own customer to raise the concern. 

The thing that concerns e is that we went through a whole process with VM when they installed a blown fibre supply to the building (cabinet is on the street next to it) so this new supply seems totally out of place, and they have al our details on file for this building. 

I'm well aware of the nuclear option and I am trying to avoid this!  I'll go back to my contact who I spoke to and agreed the BF supply and see if they can trace it and speak to them for me.