Menu
kieferkiefkief
Settling in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Wrong wall socket for broadband?

I'm having a bit of a mare.

Just signed up to Virgin broadband and had our quick start kit delivered. We checked when signing up for a wall connection with Virgin branding as asked, which we have.

However, now that I'm setting up, it seems we have a Virgin socket that fits an ethernet cable of some kind with a retracting flap, but we do not have any kind of socket that fits the broadband cable included in the kit.

I finally got through to someone on the phone, who gave me a number for quick start help and transferred me. I was disconnected and the number I was given takes me to the general contact centre where I started.

Can we use Virgin broadband? Do we need an engineer? Or should I cancel?

(Have tried attaching a picture taken on my phone but it exceeds the file limit)

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong wall socket for broadband?

What you have is a standard phone socket, not a RJ45 socket. In either case it’s not what you need for a connection. You need a termination box for the coax cable that comes from an omnibox on the outside of your house. This box/connection has a F type socket that the cable supplied in the quick start kit connects to. You need a technician to visit to install this box. The previous owner probably removed it as quick start kits are only sent to homes that have have a previous connection. Best thing to do is to call customer services, a VM staff member will get to your post, but it can take a few days.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos