Menu
Talfie1999
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong socket

I ordered my broadband and my dad (an engineer) went to self install it. It turns out that although we have the white virgin media box on the wall, the socket does not match the plug which comes with the router. We have also now realised that the brown box outside is severely damaged.

In short, I need an engineer but i have anxiety so calling Virgin is not as easy as you think. Is there a way i can talk to them online. I have found this website a bit tricky to navigate, and getting help setting up has been even more frustrating. I have had the router for a few weeks now and still it isnt plugged in. 

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong socket

@Talfie1999 wrote:

I ordered my broadband and my dad (an engineer) went to self install it. It turns out that although we have the white virgin media box on the wall, the socket does not match the plug which comes with the router. We have also now realised that the brown box outside is severely damaged.

In short, I need an engineer but i have anxiety so calling Virgin is not as easy as you think. Is there a way i can talk to them online. I have found this website a bit tricky to navigate, and getting help setting up has been even more frustrating. I have had the router for a few weeks now and still it isnt plugged in. 

Thanks

If the box is one of these:

Virgin coax outletVirgin coax outlet
The cable provided should just push over the exposed thread. All connections are push fit now, but should be backwards compatible with the f type screw threaded outlets. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Talfie1999
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Both the box and the cable have 'male' parts though, so how does that work?

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to post a photo?

0 Kudos
Talfie1999
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not currently. The brown box outside is also damaged...as in the front of it is completely detatched so the wires are all exposed.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Talfie1999 wrote:

Both the box and the cable have 'male' parts though, so how does that work?

You need one of these  Philex F-type Back to back connector | DIY at B&Q

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Talfie1999 wrote:

Not currently. The brown box outside is also damaged...as in the front of it is completely detatched so the wires are all exposed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the omnibox (but it should be fixed).
I estimate it provides no more than IP44 so the items inside are not really protected from the elements.

Definitely worth posting a picture of its current state so that any VM respondents here will have some evidence to help your case.

0 Kudos