Menu
Adam_ash
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Will this EVER get installed?

Been a couple of months now, missed appointments, green X's spray painted on the pavement, pavement digging and still no services.

Had a team out on Monday who dug up the pavement, layed some fresh tarmac and left. An hour or so later an engineer arrived and said it was still blocked!!!!

Been on the phone for 2 hours and just going round in circles, no date for further works, every other neighbor has virgin media, just can't see why they cannot split off a neighbouring property to get me connected. There's only 4 houses on my row, one of them has the cables but doesn't have internet or TV so the cables are redundant 😫.

Sick of cancelling plans and taking time off work for this now.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will this EVER get installed?

You will see many complaints on this forum about VM “piggy backing” on neighbours connections. It is not good practice to wire into a neighbours front wall box as it can degrade the service & requires additional permissions to cross other properties. You have a service tee that goes straight into the Main Street duct, as it does with all the other houses, each of which are wired individually to the cabinet, & this is as it should be.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Fragility
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To be honest with you Adam, I have been waiting since the end of April to get mine installed, I had a similar situation as you but Virgin was only installed in our area last year, the start of last year.

So first I was told that my house needs a 18ft extension to be able to be access to the main network, so that was fine, they came, they did that. After that was done, apparentely further extension was needed and I was then left for about another 6 weeks.

This work was done last week and then this week, they came and wired up at the front of the house and I'm all ready for installation next Monday. 

It will eventually happen, it's just a question of when. To be honest, I've phoned the pre-installation time more times than I can count and sometimes they're helpful, but othertimes, they're just not unfortunately. To save yourself time, effort and energy I would just message one of the moderators on the forums and get updates that way. It's much easier and less time consuming.

Furthermore, you do not need to be home and/or taking time off work for the pre-installation, i.e. the wiring up at the front of the house and things of that nature, they will do all of that whether you're in the house or not, you just need to be in for the actual installation. Hope this helps.

I don't work for Virgin Media, all my opinions are my own.
10 years in IT. Web Developer.
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I used to share a cable with my neighbour which worked absolutely fine as the signals were good, but the problem is that some VM techs have a horrible tendency to not do this properly. For example it doesn't occur to some of them that it isn't right to work on a neighbour's property without permission. And in my case I lost broadband and TV when the tech did my neighbour's installation and it took days for another tech to be send round to fix the problem.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Adam_ash
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Still no nearer to getting anything sorted.

My order status is blank and I'm told I just have to wait when I phone up.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam_ash, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry you're having issues with your install, I can assure you this isn't the level of service we aim to provide. 

We can certainly have a look and see if there's any updates for you, I'll just need to pop you a personal message and grab some details.

I'll do this now and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Fragility
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think one of the more important issues is that people like myself and Adam have been dealing /w this for a rather long time now, it's been going on 5 months now for myself and God only knows how long it's been going on for Adam, a similar time frame by the sounds of it and there is just issue after issue, blockage after blockage.

I don't mean to play devils advocate here but it seems that the construction crews just don't really give a damn, they just do a "that'll do" job and then they move on. This has been proven time and time again with myself, so far I've had:

• An extension to the main network
  • Another extension to the main network
  • Cables installed
  • Now I'm stuck with "further blockages found"

It just gets to a point where you think is it all worth it? when I moved into my house in 2011, I think BT had me up and running inside of 2-3 weeks. The difference in customer care/service/delivery is insane.

I don't work for Virgin Media, all my opinions are my own.
10 years in IT. Web Developer.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing stopping you using a copper wire broadband provider.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

There is nothing stopping you using a copper wire broadband provider.

Like the copper wire Virgin Media use ?   😉

0 Kudos
Adam_ash
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Still nothing 🤔🤔😂

0 Kudos