Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Will they ever install?!

I ordered my broadband on the 31st July but virgin still haven't installed. 

They keep changing the date or simply not turning up without telling me. 

I understand that some external work needs to be completed but they are not communicating with me and each time I contact I am assured it will be completed on the date given and no-one turns up, when I have waited in all day.

I have also been told that I will be credited £25 twice but only one £25 credit is on my account. The person that signed me up said they would put £35 and £30 credit on to cover installation, this is also not there. 

Do virgin just lie about everything? 

Virgin is the only fibre broadband option I have and that is why I have put up with this for so long. 

On Tuesday, I was assured an engineer would be out by 6pm, no-one turned up and virgin have not contacted me at all. 

I have complained and had no response. 

I'm currently waiting for a response on the text service from yesterday. 

Should I just give up and cancel?

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will they ever install?!

@Vbird Should I just give up and cancel?

Only you can decide, and the main things to consider are what you've currently got for a connection, when/if Openreach FTTP might be offered, and why you think you need the speeds that VM offer.  

VM is unfortunately a collection of rubbish IT systems that don't work well together, broken processes and wretchedly incompetent communication (and the worst offshore customer service in this and probably several other solar systems).  UK staff are usually helpful if you can get to speak to them, but they can't overcome the organisational failings. When VM works and you don't need to speak to anyone, it's a good fast internet service.  Not always as reliable as you might like, and the hub has poor wifi with no performance guarantees.

So, back to you: Based on experience so far and your other considerations, is this a company you want to give your business to?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.

My current WiFi is very slow, I have to use my mobile data for video calls to family, which at the moment is the only way I can see them due to covid. 

I would love to have fibre or faster broadband but at the minute, I definitely don't want to get trapped into a contract with this poor service. 

I hope they will communicate with me soon but I guess that's expecting a bit too much from Virgin.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OK, we can't help with a non-VM connection, but even on the slowest Openreach connection you should be able to video call if it is working - video calls only use around 5 Mbps. Latency (the time taken for signals from your computer to reach the internet) is usually the main problem with video calls, and as a general rule that's slightly better on an Openreach connection than cable when all is working correctly.

All of which makes me think you might want to visit any customer forum for your existing ISP and ask there about the poor performance?  Customer forums often have helpful, knowledgeable customers who can help diagnose faults and advise on how to get them fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos