Menu
BaleKaneSon1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will the Install Engineer set up a 3rd party router and put VH3 in Modem Mode for me?

As per the title, I have my install for Broadband on Wednesday, due to some of the negative comments about the VH3, I have decided to purchase a TP Link 1gig router. Will the install engineer set up the VH3 in modem mode for me and set up the 3rd party router? I suspect I know the answer - no. 

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Will the Install Engineer set up a 3rd party router and put VH3 in Modem Mode for me?

Typically they don't, however, if they have the spare time then there's no harm in asking, the worst they can do is say no.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
BaleKaneSon1
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will the Install Engineer set up a 3rd party router and put VH3 in Modem Mode for me?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Try the tea and biscuits method.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
BaleKaneSon1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I will get the Quality Street out lol

0 Kudos
BaleKaneSon1
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I just hope it was worth the extra outlay for the router. Part of me thinks, I should have probably given the VH3 a chance before buying a router

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Put the VM Hub into Modem Mode and use the third party router.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're always better with a third party router, regardless of whether your coverage is great or not, if it's great - then you will have a better signal with the third party router.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
BaleKaneSon1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That’s reassuring - thanks for that 🙂

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If they dont, just follow this sequence.

Put the VM hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection 🙂

Then log into the new router settings and set it up with passwords, ssid's, etc that you want.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos