Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Will QuickStart be possible?

Hello,

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice on whether QuickStart will be possible for me. I have recently moved into a house and the previous tenant was supplied by Virgin Media. Therefore, I have been contemplating signing up to avoid the hassle of perhaps reactivating a defunct Openreach line. I am only interested in broadband, not TV or phone. The website says I am eligible for QuickStart when I input my details; however, the insitu cable install does not look like the pictures on the installation guide (I will include some pictures below). The wall socket is absent (instead two cables emerge into the house through the wall) and what I think is the outside socket is an unbranded white box. The previous tenant left behind a Super Hub 2ac and so I assume was using this successfully.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know if it looks likely that the current install will be adequate for QuickStart or if an engineer visit would be require (as this would defeat the purpose of me signing up to Virgin Media). If QuickStart is possible and I sign up should the service be up and running as soon as I connect the router?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.28.19.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.28.35.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.28.53.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will QuickStart be possible?

The answer is in the first picture. The box with the phone number printed on is an isolator box on the end of Virgins drop cable. You will need to connect the hub to the connection marked "TV" (the one marked "FM" is redundant).

The two cables in the last picture look like the feed for a Sky + box & are/were probably connected to a dish somewhere on the property for Sky TV.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

should the service be up and running as soon as I connect the router?

It *should* all be up and running - you will need to call VM to activate the router though.

The cables poked through the wall, as already mentioned, are SKy/Freesat cables and not VM's (VM's connect to the wall box in your first picture).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Both,

Thank you very much for replying and sorry for my slow response. I have had a closer look at the box with the phone number printed on it and the port labelled 'TV' appears to blocked by a sheet of metal with no connection available (picture below). I guess this means that I would need an engineer visit.

Many thanks again for all the help.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 21.27.24.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi JBestie,

Welcome to the community forums and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to confirm if you have managed to get an engineer visit scheduled for this issue?

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is the Super Hub 2ac still connected to a coaxial cable? If so, disconnect that hub and replace it with yours.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Louis and Roger,

Thanks for replying. I am not yet a VM customer and, therefore, do not have a hub. I am trying to work out if I will indeed be able to perform a QuickStart if I do become a VM customer. If I won't be able to then I will go with another provider.

With only the FM port being open and the TV port being 'sealed up', does it look like I would need an engineer visit? Could the coaxial cables be related to VM? I can't see a dish on the house.

On another note, I preferably just want broadband (no phone) but the packages with a phone are much cheaper. Is there a way for me to tell if the phone line running to the house is attached to VM's or Openreach's wires?

Thank you yet again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@JBestie wrote:

Hi Louis and Roger,

Thanks for replying. I am not yet a VM customer and, therefore, do not have a hub. I am trying to work out if I will indeed be able to perform a QuickStart if I do become a VM customer. If I won't be able to then I will go with another provider.

With only the FM port being open and the TV port being 'sealed up', does it look like I would need an engineer visit? Could the coaxial cables be related to VM? I can't see a dish on the house.

On another note, I preferably just want broadband (no phone) but the packages with a phone are much cheaper. Is there a way for me to tell if the phone line running to the house is attached to VM's or Openreach's wires?

Thank you yet again!

Would be interesting to know what is inside the box. If the original diplexor/isolator is still in there you should have the TV terminal visible. I am wondering if the original has been replaced with a standard isolator (which only has one outlet). This would be the reason you are only seeing one terminal. If you have a screwdriver handy take the front cover off & take a photo of what is inside. It may be that you actually have what you need.

As a new customer VMs old phoneline would also be redundant. VM now uses VoIP for its phone products, so your phone now plugs into the internet hub & not the phone socket.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey nodrogd,

Thank you for your help again. I did as you suggested and here is what's inside the box. I think this looks good for me being able to do a QuickStart, right?

Thanks again!

Screen Shot NEW.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@JBestie wrote:

Hey nodrogd,

Thank you for your help again. I did as you suggested and here is what's inside the box. I think this looks good for me being able to do a QuickStart, right?

Thanks again!

Screen Shot NEW.png

Yep! At some time the original kit that was in the box has been replaced, so the outlet at the bottom passes all the frequencies required for Broadband & TV.

Go for it!👍👍👍

0 Kudos