cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi not connecting to my laptop but connects to my phone

arozemann
Settling in

So i got this router a few months ago and since having this I have not been able to connect it to my laptop however it connects to all of my devices. I have tried to go onto the hub settings but the website always comes up with "connection timed out" 

Is there a solution to this?

11 REPLIES 11

carl_pearce
Community elder

@arozemann wrote:

So i got this router a few months ago and since having this I have not been able to connect it to my laptop however it connects to all of my devices. I have tried to go onto the hub settings but the website always comes up with "connection timed out" 

Is there a solution to this?

Is it just not in the list of wireless networks available to your laptop, or IS in the list but won't connect?

doesn't show up in the possible connections on my laptop 

just doesnt show up in my list

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What laptop make/model is it? Is it an old one or is it compatible with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

its a dell latitude e7470

its a dell latitude e7470

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

According to this site

https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-e7470

It has 802.11ac wireless capabilities.... someone else needs to comment (or you can search) but I "think" that can only connect to the 5Ghz band and not  to the 2.4 one.

That frequency has less "range" - so have you tried it whilst sitting right next to the Hub? Even then it might be an issue. You could try the procedure below to separate out the 2 frequency bands so that the latitude ought to be able to "see" the 5GHz band clearly.

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types

Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

it doesn't let me access that website I don't know why, I've also tried sitting right next to the router and it still doesn't connect

@arozemann wrote:
it doesn't let me access that website I don't know why, I've also tried sitting right next to the router and it still doesn't connect

What device are you using to connect to the HUB / Router?