Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

WiFi connection issues and general questions about mesh or router

So I live in a 3-bed, 2 floor 60s/70s semi with what can only be described as the thickest and most solid walls known to man... I mean these things are THICC, especially the central structural ones. I'm talking in excess of a foot thick in certain places. So naturally, my wifi coverage upstairs is... patchy to say the least. Now given everything going on in the world, the home office needs great wifi as it's where my gaming PC and workstation is.

I have VM200 plan on fibre with a Hub 3.

My questions are the following:

- Am I better off trying a newer standalone router with VMH3 in modem mode or creating a small scale mesh architecture with an extender upstairs?

- If I use the VM router in modem mode with a 3rd party router, do I need to have any wired connections coming out of the 3rd party router or can they remain on the H3?

- Any product recommendations welcome, not fussed on budget as I'm more concerned with getting solid, stable coverage for my work and gaming needs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection issues and general questions about mesh or router

Hello

With the hub in modem mode only a single Ethernet port is enabled so you will have to connect any Ethernet connections to your own router / mesh system. With the example I have noted below and if you need more than 2 Ethernet ports you will also have to purchase a Ethernet 1Gbps Switch.

Personally with what you have said I would recommend a mesh system something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/eero-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack/dp/B07WHMJ6XN/ref=sr_1_1?tag=measurementat-21...

Alternatively what you can do is run an Ethernet cable either Internally or Externally to the Home Office and at the  end of the cable place a wireless access point or even a switch at the end of the cable which would give you the best option speed wise as you will be able to connect your devices wired.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos