cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi advice.

NickTipps
On our wavelength

I’ve had Virgin for about 6 months now but my WiFi seems poor at best, regularly seeming not to be connected.

I go into my iPhone settings to switch off from there & switch back on & it say there under my Virgin WiFi that it has ‘Weak security’! And that WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure.

If this is your WiFi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.

Now I use a VPN which I hope is giving me some better security but would all this be causing me connection issues & how do I do whatever the above is suggesting?

When I had the initial install & the engineer left I had to get him back in before he had driven away because my iPhone settings was saying that it was wrongly set-up & the engineer had to call someone to get it sorted as he hadn’t actually dealt with the problem before despite knowing of it, he had just left it for the customer to sort.

Now I don’t know if my router or phone has reset things but I’m a little worried about the security & more than annoyed about the lack of WiFi at home as I shouldn’t be using 4G while at home!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@NickTipps wrote:

I’ve had Virgin for about 6 months now but my WiFi seems poor at best, regularly seeming not to be connected.

<snip>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Set your VM hub as below to resolve the issue of the 'weak' security message on Apple devices.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

A connection through a VPN is likely to be slower than without the VPN. Why are you using the VPN, for work or some other reason?

NickTipps
On our wavelength

Brilliant, that seems to have worked with the iPhone security issue. Hopefully this will help solve the broadband crashing far too regularly as well.

As regards a VPN, being far from tech savvy, I’ve probably been a bit of mug using one but using my local newspapers website & various football websites seemed to give me lots of random spam emails & I was hoping a VPN would solve the issue (it doesn’t appear to have).

Look for the Unsubscribe option on unwanted emails from business.

I’ve tried all that & constantly reporting these emails & blocking them but they just keep coming!

The trouble with clicking ‘unsubscribe’ on spam doesn’t work & just seems to feed your email out to even more scammers!!

I’ve even stopped using the sites that I suspect are causing the problems as the VPN doesn’t seem to have any affect (although I’d hope it was working with online shopping?)

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@NickTipps wrote:

I’ve tried all that & constantly reporting these emails & blocking them but they just keep coming!

The trouble with clicking ‘unsubscribe’ on spam doesn’t work & just seems to feed your email out to even more scammers!!

I’ve even stopped using the sites that I suspect are causing the problems as the VPN doesn’t seem to have any affect (although I’d hope it was working with online shopping?)

The way your email address gets onto spam lists is to do with the various routes it gets shared with the wider world (sometimes knowingly with your consent and sometimes without). This can include things like services you sign up for sharing your data (with 'trusted partners'!), data leaked from company websites via data leaks/theft and the addresses then passed on, your personal info being leaked via friends and family members when their data is leaked and their contact lists (with your info on it) are leaked etc. etc.

You can check your email address here

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

to see if it has been on any data leak lists. If it has then you are likely to receive spam at some point resulting from those data leaks.

Other possibilities might include signing up for trials of things, free offers, computer software (which may include malware) and so on. Every time you are asked for your email anywhere check for any small print/tick box option which allows them to contact you.

If you are getting spam from legitimate/known companies where you think you might have some connection and inadvertently signed up for something then unsubscribing from the email is probably useful. If it is generic spam and you can think of no reason you would be getting that kind of email then using the unsubscribe feature is not a good idea as it probably will not work to unsubscribe you and will just act as a means to confirm your email account is live, which will result in ... more spam.

Which email service are you using? If it is VM, then it is probably time to find a new email provider. If not, check out whether all of the available spam filtering is set up correctly on it (such as the ability to block certain domain names, messages containing keywords, messages from specific senders etc.)

A VPN won't stop spam emails but it may well be the cause of a slow internet connection.