Menu
Ruth27
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi needed during house move

Hello, 

we are moving home this week and will be new customers to virgin, our broadband will be set up on the 28th Jan. Due to the COVID pandemic, My daughter is homeschooling and will need Wi-fi straight away, sorry I’m not very tech savvy and don’t really know the best way to support her with this, until we have our hub fitted at the new address. Is a dongle the best option for a couple of weeks? I tried to download the app for hotspots but it wouldn’t let me add the profile to my phone ( I guess because we arnt set up at out new address Yet) Any advice would be great? As you can imagine she’s stressing as it’s her GCSE year!! 😞 Thank you! 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi needed during house move

Some sort of mobile data package is probably your only option - either use your phone to act as a hotspot or buy a 4g dongle/router from one of the phone suppliers.. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You should certainly have a 4g arrangement available during the changeover. 

It's not uncommon for the Virgin connection to be delayed for some reason, so if your broadband is critical you need to have a backup available. 

Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if they still do it but three did a £20/month PAYG deal which included loads of data, and was far better than any Virgin media hotspot - the hotspots are typically customers and you have to be standing on their doorstep half the time to get a decent signal... I tried to use them when my installation was delayed and gave up, then BT offered me Infinity broadband for £20/month (as I was previously with them and cancelled), so I use that as my backup internet now. 

0 Kudos