Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

..Why does my internet not work?????

Why does my internet not work???? I have contacted virgin 5 times up to now, COMPLETE waste of time and effort. It went off TWO WEEKS ago. You can go on the "check you status" or whatever they call it all you like, it ALWAYS says the same, no reported problems, just total lies There is a recorded message that says there is some problem in my post code area, but funny how the enginners were out in my street today connecting up a new customer. I have tried to complain and tell them to send someone out, but they REFUSE saying there is a fault in my area, and get this, "you will just have to wait until it comes back on" What you got to say about this virgin media?????? I am sick of being told that it will be on next friday/tuesday/wednesday tuesday/ and needless to say, nothing happens. They can either send and engineer or i will county court them for breach of contract and go to BT Openreach, What you got to say about that then Virgim media???? TOTAL WASTE OF TIME..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ..Why does my internet not work?????

"They can either send and engineer or i will county court them for breach of contract "

Even if you want to take VM to court (not a wise idea in my view, but your call) you will find that the small claims court process in practical terms requires that you have exhausted formal arbitration services before you take action.  In this case you must have taken your complaint to CISAS, and before CISAS will accept a complaint, you must have exhausted VM's complaint processes.  To count as "exhausting" VM's complaint process, that means that you and VM still have not got a mutually acceptable outcome within eight weeks of you initiating a formal complaint, or if during that time VM state that they aren't going to offer you an acceptable outcome, and they issue what is called a deadlock letter.

I would suggest that you read the linked pages and documents carefully, and conduct the complaint in writing rather than over the phone. You will need to provide some indicative evidence (eg dates of service interruption, speed tests, or the like).  You will also need to consider the basis of your complaint - the contract between customers and VM makes no guarantees about reliability, but the Consumer Rights Act requires a service to be provided with reasonable skill and care - that should mean that the service is reliable, and "as described", and the technical support should likewise be provided with reasonable skill and care.  You will need to think about what outcome you want, and you need to explain the situation accurately - whether VM, CISAS or court, the people reading your complaint come to it "cold", they know nothing about the history and the specifics.  Do you just want the service to operate reliably? Do you want compensation?  Do you want (if in contract) to be released without penalty?  Explain the background, give dates, be clear about what has been done so far, and what outcome you want.  Since these will be formal processes, make sure that your complaint is formal - write one point (plus any evidence) per paragraph, use sparse, simple language, make use of a spell checker, don't use capitals to make a point, don't have multiple punctuation marks.

And don't expect a quick resolution when using formal processes.  VM have up to eight weeks to resolve (or fail to satisfactorily resolve) your complaint, then CISAS have a target of turning round cases in six weeks.  If it went to CISAS but you still intended to go to court, the process could easily take a few months.

If you're out of contract, or within contract and not getting the minimum guaranteed speeds, your quickest resolution may be to phone up VM and tell them that you wish to leave because of the poor connection and poor service.  Keep it polite - you might have every right to be angry with VM, but the agent on the other end of the phone is not responsible for that.  If they can call in a technician and get it sorted maybe that's the best outcome, if they can't get it sorted then you may as well leave.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Nothappy18 and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you feel this way, when you called our service status number did it advise the estimated repair time of the known area fault you're currently experiencing? Have you called this since to check if it's updated? 

If there's a known area fault and our team book an engineer appointment, it would be automatically cancelled as there's already a team working on the network in the area which may be what is causing the issue. 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok..

My internet went off at about midnight on Tuesday the 26th of November..

1, You can check things with the "status checker" as much as you like, it ALWAYS tells you "no known faults"

2, Despite this, when i tried to contact them the next day, and indeed everytime, there was a recorded message saying there was a fault in the NP20 area.

3, I was promised it would come back on on Friday the 29th of November... **bleep**

4, I was promised it would come back on on Tuesday the 3rd of December...  **bleep**..

5, I was promised it would come back on on Friday the 6th of December... **bleep**..

6, I tried saying that houses very close to mine were ok and that NP20 was a huge area and that there must be a second fault. I was told that as there was a fault in the area, that no engineer would call.. In fact, the one day i was driving up my street and i saw a load of your engineers and a utilities team. I asked if they were fixing my fault.. No, come the reply, they are connecting up a new customer.... I asked them about a "fault in the area" and they said no fault as far as they knew...

7, I was promised it would come back on on Wednesday the 11th of December... **bleep**..

8, I contacted them yet again, only this time i told them that there was smoke coming from my modem.. They soon arranged an engineer to come then!! at dinnertime the next day.

9, Mr engineer has one look and decides that the fault is in the junction box thing up the road. I walk up there with them, [about 50 yards] They unplug the cable that leads to my house, take one look at the socket it was screwws into, and announce that the insulation was "chafed" They screwed the cable into a different socket and instantly my internet comes back on...

So, i had no internet connection AT ALL from sometime around midnight on Tuesday the 26th of november, until about midday on Thursday the 12th of december, all because they could not be bothered to send an engineer..

Guess what happens next???? YES... THE BILL ARRIVES!!!!!!!!!!

What has happened to the "automatic compensation scheme" ????????????? No mention of that at all...

Just compulsive liars..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry that this has been the experience you've had, I can assure you it's not the level of service we aim to provide. 

Did you register for the loss of service to receive the automatic compensation? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Register for the loss of service???? I have no idea what you are talking about?? I contacted the faults people about 5 times, AND the cancellation people as i was going to cancel the contract, AND i contacted them on some sort of "chat" thing too.

As for registering for loss of service i have no idea what you are talking about, YOU LOT ALREADY KNOW FULL WELL IT WAS NOT WORKING, as the cancellation person could apparently see this, [when it went off] by looking at my account..

What am i supposed to do now then???

john lewis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The option to register a fault is on the service page, this would then automatically apply a loss of service when the issue is resolved if the credit is valid. This is the case if it's on the service page. 

If you've told us about a fault over the phone and we've confirmed it then the same applies, so I'm confident this was done. It might be that the credits won't be shown until next months bill if your bill was already created. 

It's best to give the team a call on 150/0345 454 1111 so they can advise what's going on. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

I do not know what you mean about the "service page" Is this the thing where you can "Check you service status" because if it is, all that said ALL THROUGH THE ENTIRE AFFAIR, was "no known faults" and yet the recorded message when i tried to contact them, and indeed every time, i tried, said that there WAS a fault..

john..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 

So if the service page didn't say there was a fault, but the team did when you rang and spoke to an agent they should have registered the loss of service for you. 

So I'd ring and ensure this is the case and if the credit will be on the next bill. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, Thanks Emma!!

I will see what happens. It went off at about midnight and i reported it the next day. I got told that "there is a serious fault" and it would take some time to fix it, they kept promising dates but it was all rubbish. I KNOW they KNOW when it went off, as the cancellation person said they could see this when they looked at my account..

0 Kudos