Menu
matttye88
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why does Virgin Media use Yodel?!

I ordered a QuickStart kit and it was due to be delivered yesterday between 8am and 6pm. 

The text I received from Virgin Media said I would receive a text from Yodel on the morning that it would be delivered giving me a 2 hour window. 

No text ever arrived. I waited in all day then contacted Yodel's live chat at 6.15pm to be told they are going to deliver it today. 

There was no notification at all that the parcel was delayed, causing me to stay in all day for no reason. I'm not at home at all today as I'm starting a new job so unless they're willing to leave it in my outbuilding without a signature I'm going to have to reschedule it for another date when I'm available.

I actually ordered my new package 2 weeks ago and specifically selected yesterday as I knew it was the only day I'd be available to receive it. 

Just about every experience I've ever had of Yodel has been poor - why does Virgin use such a sorry excuse for a delivery company?!

I know this is a community forum so I'm not expecting an official reply, I just wanted to vent 🙂

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does Virgin Media use Yodel?!

Good Morning

Let me take a look into this for you.

I'll pop you a private message to take a few details

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My quickstart kit was delivered yesterday, as scheduled by yodel to a collect plus location about 3 minutes walk from home. The shop is open until 10 pm. If your working hours at your job are such that you can do this and collect the box after work, that may solve your problem. Personally its another courier company that I've had the most problems with.

0 Kudos
matttye88
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'll do that if they won't leave it in my shed today. 

Hopefully if I ask them to leave it on my ring doorbell they will!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just about every experience I've ever had of Yodel has been poor - why does Virgin use such a sorry excuse for a delivery company?!

Because for VM's managers, lowest cost trumps good customer service (as you'll find out if you have cause to call VM's telephone support).  To be fair to Yodel (or Hermes and their ilk) most of the customer experience is down to the local courier - if you have a reliable, long serving local courier, then service is good, if you have a short service, disinterested peasant then disappointment is assured, and then cast-iron guaranteed by the inability of cheapskate companies to offer good customer contact for queries.

can't fathom why VM don't use their own field technicians to do all kit delivery, even for self installs, and all collections.  They've got the vans, they've got the kit, they've got the job scheduling system, they're out on the road all day in every area served.  The higher hourly rate that a field tech is paid compared to Yodel's minimum wage employees is going to be offset by Yodel's breakages and losses, by complaint and additional customer contact costs, along with Yodel's margin.  It's a bit like VM's wilful persistence with the offshore "support" model, that costs far less per hour than UK call centres, but takes longer to handle calls, generates repeated calls by not solving first time, and generates additional complaints.

Some companies never learn.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

To be fair to Yodel (or Hermes and their ilk) most of the customer experience is down to the local courier - if you have a reliable, long serving local courier, then service is good, if you have a short service, disinterested peasant then disappointment is assured

I agree with this. Although on first thought, it sounds like a good idea to use VM techs for delivery, I think the fact that that there can be huge distances involved between their warehouse(s) where gear is stocked and end users residences (I'm in Scotland almost as far North as Virgin cover - when I last checked) would mean there would be delays due to multiple handovers etc.

Much better to rely on a company setup to get stuff around the country. As verified by my experience, sometimes Yodel gets it right - you just don't hear about these occasions as much as when there are problems.

matttye88
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's now almost 6pm and again I've had no message from Yodel, no delivery, no missed delivery card. 

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've received deliveries to my place by some delivery people at around 8 pm but IF it doesn't turn up today (and there's still a few hours to go), all the best with arranging collection from your local Collect+ place.

0 Kudos
matttye88
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Still no sign of it. I contacted Yodel and they said they can't 

(A) tell me when it's going to be delivered or

(B) let me pick it up from anywhere. 

I basically just have to wait an undetermined amount of time for it to be delivered. 

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like they've lost it then and VM should send you another (but for Collect+ pickup this time). What does VM have to say about this on 150.. assuming they don't get back here about it?

0 Kudos