Menu
Pgwillim
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What is the Ethernet cable from the splitter for?

Hi  I'm looking to replace my WiFi with a mesh system and I wondered what the Ethernet cable that comes from the splitter to the VM hub is actually for. I've disconnected it but my smart TV, home phone, WiFi all seem to work fine. I'm intending to switch the hub to modern mode and assume I can just connect this Ethernet port to my switch but I'd appreciate knowing what it's for?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the Ethernet cable from the splitter for?

what ethernet splitter? you can't just split ethernet.

Can you post a picture of the cable?
0 Kudos
Pgwillim
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi  I meant the little device pictured attached. I have discovered what the cable is for as although the TV box is working the on demand services such as search and catch up obviously need this connection. 

I'm concerned that if I switch to modem mode I don't want to lose these services. Also will the phone connection still work as this goes through the VM hub too.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You didn't post a picture, but certain VM TV boxes require an ethernet connection for catch up and on demand services.Simply ensure that this equipment is connected to your new router when you switch the hub to modem mode.

Your phone connection will still work in modem mode and should be left connected to the hub.

0 Kudos
Pgwillim
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

0 Kudos
Pgwillim
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Looks like the Ethernet cable just goes between the hub and the TV6 box. It's sort of woven into the incoming cables and looks like two separate ones. Makes sense now...

Set the hub into modern mode, which looks like a red led rather than magenta and it's working fine now, far better performance than before.

Thanks

0 Kudos