Menu
glen8
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What does a wall box actually do?

Virgin media are cabling up our street, and I'm already starting to think about cabling and wall boxes etc etc in order to minimise the mess.

Can someone please tell me the point of the wall boxes please?  To me it looks like a plain vanilla f-type connection on a white piece of plastic?  Does it actually serve a purpose or is there no difference to pushing the cable straight through the wall (other than asthetics).  Obviously, if you ever decided to move all the furniture around and move the TV to the other side of the room you'd be a bit stuck unless you joined the cable with a coupler.

Basically, we are thinking about having the following

V6 Box and router in lounge

3 x Multiroom boxes in each of the bedrooms

The way our house is laid out, Ideally I'd like a 4-way splitter outside where the main cable comes up underneath the driveway, and have the 4 cables routed up the walls straight into the rooms.  In the lounge have a 2-way splitter feeding the V6 box and router.

I'm even happy buying the VM cabling and doing it all myself so I can spend time routing it behind drain pipes, under carpets etc etc

Hopefully all the engineer will have to do is just connect it all up outside.  I've watched a VM engineer on youtube, and he pretty much suggests they prefer this approach.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: What does a wall box actually do?

@glen8 wrote:

Virgin media are cabling up our street, and I'm already starting to think about cabling and wall boxes etc etc in order to minimise the mess.

Can someone please tell me the point of the wall boxes please?  To me it looks like a plain vanilla f-type connection on a white piece of plastic?  Does it actually serve a purpose or is there no difference to pushing the cable straight through the wall (other than asthetics).  Obviously, if you ever decided to move all the furniture around and move the TV to the other side of the room you'd be a bit stuck unless you joined the cable with a coupler.

Basically, we are thinking about having the following

V6 Box and router in lounge

3 x Multiroom boxes in each of the bedrooms

The way our house is laid out, Ideally I'd like a 4-way splitter outside where the main cable comes up underneath the driveway, and have the 4 cables routed up the walls straight into the rooms.  In the lounge have a 2-way splitter feeding the V6 box and router.

I'm even happy buying the VM cabling and doing it all myself so I can spend time routing it behind drain pipes, under carpets etc etc

Hopefully all the engineer will have to do is just connect it all up outside.  I've watched a VM engineer on youtube, and he pretty much suggests they prefer this approach.

Thanks.

Firstly, you can't buy VM cabling, it is manufactured exclusively for them to their specs. VM techs will only connect up cabling they have installed themselves due to the risk of RF ingress onto the network from anything that is non standard. Same goes for the wall boxes, that also contain an inline safety isolator to prevent any power surges from entering or exiting the drop line to the cabinet.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

glen8
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  I'll have to supply plenty of coffee instead.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd Firstly, you can't buy VM cabling, it is manufactured exclusively for them to their specs. 

...using the same unique and high quality approach to procurement that delivers VM's outsourced customer services, cable pulling and digging, and their hubs.  There are of course heretics who would say that VM's triple shield RG6 cable isn't in the slightest bit unique, and that (with due diligence) you can buy better from a multitude of sources, for example by searching for quad shielded RG6, but I AM NO HERETIC, I SAY TO YOU THAT VIRGIN MEDIA'S COAX CABLE IS UNIQUE, MAGICAL.

I agree entirely with nodgrod.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos