Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

What do I have to do!?

In a state of despair whilst also admiring how useless a company can be.

Ordered broadband on September 15th to my new build house. This was 6 weeks before I moved in and before the driveway had been laid in order for them to run the necessary cables up to my house with the least difficulty. There was even a spare duct already in place for them to use. I told them this over the phone. Yeah, no problem I was told, and engineer will be round in 5 weeks to get you connected up.

Fast forward 5 weeks.

Engineer turns up, looking for the cable running from the street to my house. "You dont have anything running to the house sir". Brilliant. "We will have to apply to the council to dig up the road, this will take a couple of weeks". So, it seems, no one actually talks to each other inside VM.

Fast forward 2 weeks.

No call from VM. Strange. Better call in. After being hung up on and transferred a few times we finally got through to someone. "Oh, the engineers havent told us anything, errrm, its going to be 6-8 weeks to get services installed". Brilliant. Id like to add here getting through to someone in their Customers Service department is close to impossible. Ive never experienced anything like it in my life.

Fast forward 1 week.

Call back in for an update. "Going to be 6-8 weeks sir" Brilliant. Open a complaint about how useless VM are. No email acknowledgement, no call, and to this day, no one has contacted me in anyway about it.

Fast forward to yesterday, circa a month later. Absolutely zero contact from VM

White van turns up outside, hmm, strange, il go speak to them. "Oh hi, were from VM, here to dig up the road and put a box at the end of the drive. Brilliant. So your not running it to the house? "Oh no, we just put the box at the end of the drive" So, in goes the box, no where near the duct on the floor, which is now in white spray paint, with an arrow "DUCT" -->

So, today, we are 8 weeks down the line, and I am no closer to getting internet. No contact from Virgin Media. Im past the point of being annoyed about this now. I just need internet to work from home, and the kids to do their schoolwork.

So, im asking here because im not sure what else to do? What do I have to do to get internet or get VM to talk to me? Richard? Are you there?

Im contemplating quitting my job, becoming a virgin engineer, training on how to do it all, and then doing my own house before quitting. Pretty sure this would be a quicker route to get broadband at this stage.

Anyway, im not sure anyone from VM will read this, or care enough to do anything. So please take this post as a warning. Stay away from Virgin Media if you value your sanity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: What do I have to do!?

Can you clarify?

Who built the house? It is usually the builders responsibility to negotiate with VM and pre-install all the ducting,cabling, etc whilst the build is ongoing. That's certainly the case on new build estates when the whole estate gets cabled up.

Was yours a one-off or a small number of builds and did your builder not go through that process with VM whilst building?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: What do I have to do!?

Virgin will not even look at your installation until 2 weeks before installation as you may cancel. No good spending money if you are going to cancel. 

So your originally installation date was... near the end of October? So you need to add 6 - 8 weeks to this date, so you installation should be... near the end of November? Depends on the local council approving any necessary planning. 

Once that's all done they'll put in the cable. 

0 Kudos