Menu
Ohowejen
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What Ethernet cable do I need for V6?

I received a replacement V6 box yesterday, but it didn’t come with an Ethernet cable and I don’t have my old one. 
What size cable (eg what CAT??) do I need to connect V6 to the internet box?
It wouldn’t let me connect via WiFi when I tried last night and I’m so fed up with going round in circles on the Virgin FAQs that I’ll just buy my own Ethernet cable! 
Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: What Ethernet cable do I need for V6?

Hello

The minimum requirement for the V6 box is Cat 5e. Strange that it doesn't connect to wireless, when you go and try to connect wirelessly does it show the wireless network, do you get any error messages.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning,

Either a CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet should suffice. 

Is the V6 box right next to your Superhub? If possible we always recommend hardwiring the V6 anyway as it will vastly improve the speed of our on demand services.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Ohowejen
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 
It comes up with a screen saying “now connect your tv box to the hub” but I can’t move the selection down to “connect to WiFi” - the arrows on the remote don’t affect it! (Even though the remote works).

So I seem to be stuck on that page until I can connect via cable! 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do the arrow keys work on the programme list ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try holding down the 'info' button on the V6 remote for around 10 seconds. See if that helps at all as it should re-pair the V6 remote with V6 box.

Also you can try pressing the channel down button that may help you get onto the connect to wifi option. 

If it still doesn't let you, you can always try a simple reboot of the V6 box.

If there is an ethernet plugged into the V6 box though it will not let you connect to wifi.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Ohowejen
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can’t get to programme list until I’m connected! 😬 They used to work until last week... 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do the arrow keys work on any part[s] of the menu ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Christy_D wrote:

Either a CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet should suffice. 

Christy

Any Cat5 cable is likely to be limited to 100Mbps but more importantly, also >15 years old.  I would only use one in a sticking plaster situation.  Cat5e has been the 1GB standard cable for many years.  Cat6/7 are normally specced with increased shielding from crosstalk and electrical interference and so I would always recommend one of those as there is minimal price difference.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos