cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that's a first in a long time - my IP address has changed!

munrobasher
Up to speed

Not a complaint but more of a "wow". I know Virgin Media connections are typically DHCP but the IP rarely changed. I've had the same one for three years. It's changed in the past few weeks. Only spotted it because one of my clients limits access via IP address.

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yup it can change and we like it not to change much.

I suggest you use a DDNS to see when the IP changes or use it in a firewall rule

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

Had the same Public IP since the VM service arrived in the tail end of 2017

I suggest you use a DDNS to see when the IP changes or use it in a firewall rule

I have a small development server behind my VM connection and that's using DDNS already - I didn't even spot that changing. My client uses Azure virtual machines and sadly network blocking can only use IP addresses 😞

munrobasher_0-1688066891424.png

@Client62 wrote:

Had the same Public IP since the VM service arrived in the tail end of 2017

I've been with C&W and then VM for 23+ years. Only changed three times in all that time.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, ditto.  Most likely because the area is “old” and there has been no changes to the VM network in years. However a new small fibre cabinet appeared a couple of months ago, so I’ve a feeling VM might be pushing XGSPON soon? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks