cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak internet. Connection from street issue?

glovesmith
Tuning in

We are having issues with our wifi signal strength in BS3, Bristol. I have been trying to check everything and am concerned about the cables in the connection box on the front of our house. The larger cable looks fine but the smaller one is a mess (see photo). What does this smaller cable do? Might this be an issue? & how should we go about sorting it out if it is? 210608 Virgin street connection.jpeg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The smaller cable is for the telephone line. If you haven't yet been switched to VOIP it will still be in use, but eventually it will be abandoned.

The coax cable is for your broadband and TV.   If that is damaged it will affect the broadband signal to the Hub.  If the broadband signal is OK then any problems with WiFi will be a different issue.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are currectly paying for a phone service it won't have been changed to VOIP without informing you.   If you haven't a service at the moment and you apply now you will be told then which service will be used.  That could well be VOIP because all the old copper phone lines will be removed by 2025 and the project to change them is well under way,.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The smaller cable is for the telephone line. If you haven't yet been switched to VOIP it will still be in use, but eventually it will be abandoned.

The coax cable is for your broadband and TV.   If that is damaged it will affect the broadband signal to the Hub.  If the broadband signal is OK then any problems with WiFi will be a different issue.

- jpeg1

Thanks for this. 

We don't currently have a land line phone but are considering it. Is there a way we can find out if the phone has been switched to VOIP?

Thanks again.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are currectly paying for a phone service it won't have been changed to VOIP without informing you.   If you haven't a service at the moment and you apply now you will be told then which service will be used.  That could well be VOIP because all the old copper phone lines will be removed by 2025 and the project to change them is well under way,.

- jpeg1

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @glovesmith 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services. 

I can get an engineer out to come and fix the OMNI box, please let me know how you would like to proceeded. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks Zak ,

It' be great to see if this might help. 

Is there a charge for the engineer to come out? 

I presume the OMNI box is the box on the front of the house in my photo? 

Please can you let me know some date options for when the engineer might be able to come & I could say which would be best. 

Thanks, 

George

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Geroge 🙂

Thanks for your reply, we can certainly get this booked in for you 🙂 

I will pop you over a private message and to confirm some details and we can go from there, no charge 🙂

(Keep an eye out for the purple envelope ^^) 

Zoie

Hi Zoie, 

I didn't ever see the message you sent and I didn't get a purple envelope. 

Please do book us in an engineer visit. 

Many thanks, 

George Lovesmith

Please can you let me know some date options for when the engineer might be able to come & I could say which would be best. 

Thanks, 

George

Good Afternoon @glovesmith,

Thanks for coming back to Zoie.

I'll seek to follow up with a private message for you and we'll seek to have something booked in for you

Check out the purple envelope - which, if you scroll up to the top of the page, you'll see this towards the top right hand corner of the screen 

Kindest regards,

David