Menu
Mshepherd5963
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

We have a wall socket, but...

Hello!

I ordered a self install kit about an hour ago, thinking we knew where the connector socket was, but it's not the right one. The correct one is in a less than desirable place, upstairs (I'm downstairs, and would like my main device connected to the hub via ethernet). It also has a cable already in the socket we can't pull out, so that's weird.

I tried calling VM for an engineer but no luck, I've seen in other threads people have been able to get appointments by just posting so here I am, but is it even possible to have another one put in if I already have one? If anyone reads this and has any suggestions/solutions, I'm more than grateful!

Thank you

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: We have a wall socket, but...

Can you post a picture of the socket with the cable in that you cant pull out. Does it screw out ?
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

you will struggle to get a tech booking at the moment if the upstairs one works - you will be able to book something but it will likely be put on hold until lockdown is over and then who knows how long

as said post some photos and if its an old cable it will screw in i would think

Tony
Mshepherd5963
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Thanks guys, you were right! managed to get it off with a spanner. I guess the plan is to hope it works, and to use WiFi until we figure out if we can have it relocated/find another solution (like having the cable out the window or drilling through the floor).

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The new cable they give you will probably be a push fit not screw.
0 Kudos
Mshepherd5963
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

In that case, what should I do?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Mshepherd5963 wrote:

In that case, what should I do?

push fit cables are compatible with the connection on the wall box - simply push it on and it should fit and connect

Tony
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It just pushes onto the socket
0 Kudos
Mshepherd5963
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello again all!

I have my self install kit now, and have hooked everything up (twice) but no luck. I can connect my phone to the WiFi but not the internet, says I need to 'sign in to [Network name]'. The hub 3 shows a green WiFi symbol and a green flashing power light (No arrows, I was told there would be arrows). Help? I have made sure everything is connected properly, and have rebooted the hub twice, nothing, fearing it may be a problem with the wires in the wall.

Any suggestions would be grateful before I attempt to call them tonight, I ain't paying for something I can't use. Thanks!

Sidenote: what??
unknown.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like it either needs activating or the cable is disconnected in the street cabinet.  Either way you will need to ring VM to get sorted.