Menu
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wall Socket

Hi,

Just received the quick start up set but i had virgin years ago.  The push fit isolator cable wont go into the existing cable from the box as its a different fit

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wall Socket

if its a VM wall socket regardless of age it should fit afaik

post some photos

if you still have the original VM cable and the wall box is in tact then you dont need the isolator cable as there will be an isolator in the wall box

Tony
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that has worked using original cable directly to the router.  Is this safe as it doesnt have an isolater like the lead supplied?  Its coming directly from outside

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you have an existing internal wall box there should be an isolator in it so all is good - if its just a cable coming through the wall then the isolator might be in the external box - if you have changed nothing over the years then its reasonable to assume its ok

so be a bit more detailed in your explanation - if it is just a cable coming through the wall and you want to use the isolaor cable then you need one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

post some photos of what you have

Tony
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

20201212_184938.jpg

0 Kudos
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not sure about outside, ill look tomorrow when its light again!  

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

no need to look - you or someone has removed the cover from the box - the back support is whats on the wall - the white cable would normally have gone into the box and connected to the isolator which is housed in it - the outlet from the isolator would have protruded from the box

what is the black cable connected to the white cable - VM or earlier suppliers dont usually use black cable internally - have i got my thinking the wrong way round - is the black cable the feed cable and the white cable going somewhere in the house

either way you need the isolator cable that came with the quick start kit

and how is the black cable connected to the white cable - it looks to have a connector like the one i linked to above

difficult to know whats what without knowing what each cable is and where they come from or go to

Tony
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, ill have a look in the morning and ask my boyfriend to try and answer your questions if thats ok  

0 Kudos
Stoneslj
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So, the black cable we have added to make the wire longer.  The problem we have is the end of the black and white cable are screw fit, where as the isolator cable supplied is push fit.  The link you gave for a connector is screw fit to screw fit.  We have a screw fit to push connector but the push fit side is the same size as the isolator cable so they dont join together.  Hope that makes sense.  Thanks again

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you should not be adding your own cable - the black one - against the T & C but more importantly can affect the signal and others around you on VM

the push fit connector should afaik fit on the screw connector - they is only one size F connector so push or screw should be the same

i am thinking all the story is not being told so lets go back

have you removed the cover and the isolator because the push fit cable does not fit or you cannot get it to fit - it should fit

where has the black cable come from - if its not supplied by VM it should not be used

Tony
0 Kudos