cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting to swap, have some questions.

ohitstom
Tuning in

So i've been waiting for our plusnet contract to end which is coming up in 4 months, and considered virgin as my number one pick both for speed and reliability.
However. I have quite a few questions that i would love answering please.

As we havent had virgin media on this property before, we would need to pay for the installation, how willing will the engineer be to install it on our second floor above the front door? As i being the only tech know how of the house would need easy access to the router at all times. 

I know its a box outside that then leads to a plug inside which then goes to a modem. So along that line of installation it would be preferable to have the virgin inside plug upstairs, and then a short cable for the modem. Instead of trying to cable route the modem from a plug downstairs.

Would i need to pay extra for such needs? Or would the engineer be more than happy to install a plug upstairs seeing as it isnt far from the front door regardless.

3 REPLIES 3

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening, 

Welcome to the community, in regards to your install the engineer will install your cable and hub in any part of your home you request as long as it Is safe to do so. There is no extra charge to having this upstairs instead of downstairs.

I will send you a private message so I can check if your property has had our services in the past so I can guide you further on what is needed when you sign up.

Thank You,

Joe

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thank you very much!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ohitstom wrote:

So i've been waiting for our plusnet contract to end which is coming up in 4 months, and considered virgin as my number one pick both for speed and reliability.<snip>

Two further comments to add into your deliberations about a move to VM. Regarding installation on the second floor (assuming UK definition of two floors above ground), I am sure I have read on here in the past that VM installation technicians will only use ladders up to first floor height (one floor above ground). If you are wanting an installation above that height, double check you will actually be able to get VM installed as/where you require.

Second point, if you have a look through this 'Quick Start' forum you will soon see that VM seems to have a particular problem at the moment with getting new cables installed from the street to the home (the source of numerous complaints on this forum in recent months). The best advice, which is mentioned regularly on here, would be to keep your existing provider, Plusnet, going until such time as VM is up and running to your satisfaction. That way you will still have a connection in place in case you encounter any ‘bumps in the road’ on your VM journey!

VM is generally reliable in my experience and works well but any time you have to interact with the company (beyond paying them each month), the outcomes can be somewhat ... variable!