Menu
Cambridgehouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin over installed Sky cable

Hello, I have just had Virgin installed, which is good news, the bad news is that -

1. the wifi seems to drop in and out which means that my sonos music system keeps stopping

2. the house is new and the builder has only installed sky cable in the walls to all the rooms, and VM said on installation that VM will not work on these cables, so I have wasted my money having all these cables installed, or is there a way to use these pre-installed cables ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin over installed Sky cable

You say the house is newbuild. Is that a one-off or part of an estate? Usually the builders liase with either VM or Openreach and the properties are wired for one or the other. If an estate - how are the other properties cabled up? Just wondering whether they "could" be VM cables after all.

Or was it a bespoke builders installation of cables? Did VM come out to install all the cabling to your property and say then that they couldn't use them? If so then you cant use the cables for VM. You will have to move to Sky (or Openreach)  if you want to use them.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Cambridgehouse
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response, the house is a one off, not an estate. Virgin have come to fit and advised it is wired for SKY.

0 Kudos
Gaz82
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Most likely the builder would've used WF65 Shotgun cable (looks like two thin coax cables joined together) and run this either directly to a dish or to a distribution point in your loft?

Virgin use a much thicker coax cable which is triple screened to prevent signal loss.

You might be able to use the pre-installed cable for short runs but it certainly won't be supported by Virgin and will probably be more trouble than it's worth with signal loss.

The best solution would be to leave the Virgin Hub where it is and put it into modem mode, then buy a third party router with a better Wi-Fi range.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you wouldn't be able to use the sky cable for VM. the cable is not up to spec and can inject noise into the local network. Using it would break the T&C
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you ask the builders to "specifically" wire for Virgin and they said yes? If so complain and get a refund. Usually VM will not pre-wire a new build if its a one off and the builders should know that VM don't supply their cable to builders to fit. Normally in this situation we would recommend having conduit tubing installed containing "pull ropes" (strong string!) so that when you get an install, from any provider they can pull their own cable through to where its needed.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Cambridgehouse
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks, just a shame I had expected Virgin to be cabled throughout the house.

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What are you trying to extend around the house. If you want multiple Virgin TV boxes, then, as others have said, each must be connected to Virgin installed coax cable that connect back to the incoming Virgin cable.

If you want to make wired connections from computers, games consuls etc to your Virgin hub, then you need Ethernet cables, which would be the same regardless of which ISP provides your service.

if you want to improve wifi coverage, there are several options

1. Put the Virgin hub into modem mode and connect a better, more powerful router via an Ethernet cable. Try to locate it in a central position. Some trial and error may be necessary to find the best location. Be aware, even the best router will not usually give good coverage throughout a large house unless you are very lucky.

2. You could install a Wireless Access Point connected back to you Virgin hub via Ethernet and locate it in another part of the house to give additional wifi coverage.

3. You could use Powerline extenders to fill in black spots. These connect back to your router via the ac mains cabling, which should be okay in a new house. I would not recommend cheaper wifi extenders as these reduce available bandwidth. I used a combination of these and my own better router for years with reasonable success.

4. You could invest in a Mesh system that provides 2 or more access points around your home that can talk to each other via wifi. I now use a 3 node triband system connected to a Virgin hub in modem mode and once set up and optimised, gives good whole house coverage without wires.

0 Kudos