cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media wall socket in an unusable place

plummy95
Tuning in

Hi, 

I got a quickstart pack on Wednesday and tried looking for the wall socket in the flat (first floor). An engineer came out yesterday and we eventually found it randomly part the way down the stairs. There was no plug socket nearby for this to be used, so in the end he had to drill the cable through the wall and plug the router into the wardrobe. The router is in quite a cramped place and the internet is only useable if I sit in the wardrobe. I was hoping to be able to use an ethernet connection but this is currently impossible and wifi doesn't seem to be an option either as I can only move a few steps away from the wardrobe before I lose all wifi signal. If there a way to have this box on the wall moved to where the living areas of the flat are, or any devices I could try to enable ethernet/wifi connectivity? 

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The technician should have put the Hub in a sensible place, by running a new cable to wherever you wanted it.

As your installation is "new", I would complain and get it moved for free.  They may try to charge the flat £25 fee, but I would argue the install should have been done properly in the first place.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and discuss.  Otherwise phone in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The technician should have put the Hub in a sensible place, by running a new cable to wherever you wanted it.

As your installation is "new", I would complain and get it moved for free.  They may try to charge the flat £25 fee, but I would argue the install should have been done properly in the first place.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and discuss.  Otherwise phone in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you. When the technician came yesterday he was very confused as to why someone would have fitted the box where they had to the wall as it's nowhere near the main living spaces. He said it needed to be the nearest socket so drilled through into the wardrobe 😅

Hi plummy95,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Apologies that the wall socket wasn't placed in the best place, I've had a look from our side and can see you've been able to contact us regarding this.

If you do still need help with anything please let us know.

Alex_Rm

@plummy95 wrote:

He said it needed to be the nearest socket so drilled through into the wardrobe 😅

Another VM lie, they're quite good at telling them.

plummy95
Tuning in

Just had an engineer out. He was brilliant and has repaired everything. The main issue affecting things turned out to be the box in the wall being from the 90s. He has also given some good advice 😊