cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin line?

Atreyu74
Tuning in

I have just joined virgin and I am waiting for my router to arrive. I was given the quickstart option but I have no idea where the virgin phone point would be. I have an open reach point but I was told virgin use a separate line. Or does this still go to the same box? Newly rented property

19 REPLIES 19

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

Hexagonal screw connectors.

The cable is router power cable

Best guess based on your description and photo looks like the VM connection has been cut off and the hole through the wall used for a satellite TV connection.

Trace the trailing black dual shotgun cable from the Bell Cablemedia box outside and see where it goes to outside. If it is up to a satellite dish then you have your answer for what that cable does.

If that is the case, then look outside for the external VM wall box mentioned above in the link at #6 and see if you can trace the cable from that into your home. It may just be a cut end of cable somewhere near the same place as the dual satellite cable enters the building.

I think that's my answer

20210613_122519.jpg

What is this

20210613_122855.jpg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That's an external VM box in the pic at #12, it should have a lid on it to protect the connections from the elements. The item in the second photo at #13 looks like an inline isolator of some kind but it is only connected at one end.

If that's the only external VM box and you can find no cables coming from it to your home (by whatever means/route) then you probably do have your answer.

The box does have a cover which I've removed. The cable I'm holding is from the box which was cut before it enters the wall. Satellite cables go in the wall. What do I have to do to make it virgin media ready

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is your Bell Cablemedia box on the inside immediately on the opposite side of the wall to the external grey VM box?

When you follow the dual black cable from the Bell Cablemedia box inside, where does that dual cable go to on the outside? To a satellite dish?

Pretty much opposite. The dual cable runs to sat dish. Virgin chat are sending me some cable and connectors. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

Pretty much opposite. The dual cable runs to sat dish. Virgin chat are sending me some cable and connectors. 

OK well I think that establishes then that your VM cable has been chopped off at some point in the past and replaced with a satellite cable.

You won't easily be able to make any connections with the ready-made VM cables and I doubt they will be long enough to be useful (aside from the matter of getting them through the wall). You shouldn't really be trying your own DIY connections inside the external omni box and, judging from the corroded and poor condition of the connectors, you'll probably not get a very good connection anyway. It also looks as if others may be linked up to that box as well so you would need to avoid doing anything that would disturb their VM service.

Would suggest that you get back onto VM and advise them that your internal connections have been removed by someone at some point in the past and that you need a technician installation. That should give you the best chance of it working properly from the start.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

I'll buy a new splitter. Virgin are sending 5m cables and the other connection is to the upstairs of our property. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Atreyu74 wrote:

I'll buy a new splitter. Virgin are sending 5m cables and the other connection is to the upstairs of our property. 

Well, I'd advise against that kind of DIY installation and adding your own components, such as a splitter, in the omnibox. Your VM hub requires a signal level within a certain range to work correctly, which will depend on how it is connected in the street cabinet and also the length of cable (inc. internal cable) to the VM hub. Putting in your own length of cable, you have no way of changing that signal level if it is not within spec. AFAIK, the longest length of pre-made cable VM can supply you with is 3m for that reason.

Any DIY connection you make yourself, also has the possibility of adversely affecting other VM customers who are connected locally, including your neighbour if they are on VM, by injecting noise into the network if it is not done correctly.

Annoying though it is to have to involve VM in the process, I'd suggest you go with the technician installation. That way you'll know your own setup should be correct at the start and your own installation won't be affecting anyone else in an adverse way.

Hope you get it sorted.