cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin engineer used my box to wire a connection to my neighbour

Doody1
Tuning in

Not life threatening but annoying all the same. No permission sought, just came home to it.

I assume it might be temporary but I’d like that confirmed,with some idea of when it will be regularised.

17BDFE49-94AF-4006-9E1D-36757990DDB9.jpeg

35 REPLIES 35

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is very common as the kit belongs to VM.  It will not make any difference to your broadband supply, as all the VM cables are shared at some point along the route.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:

This is very common as the kit belongs to VM.  It will not make any difference to your broadband supply, as all the VM cables are shared at some point along the route.

poor answer imo - it may or may not be common but its trespass unless there is a wayleave in place - its unlikely to be temp - it may be said to be but they wond do anything if you just sit back - all down to you - if you are happy with it and get one with next door then its what it is - if not the wire cutters will solve it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Unless the picture is really messing with my head, that looks like it's on the first floor, I'd love to know how they even accessed that box safely to perform the work.

Thanks adduxi , the kit might belong to VM but that doesn’t give a right to enter my property to alter it and supply the neighbour.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do you by any chance live next door to this person? He has the same problem in reverse. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Repairing-my-Cable-Line-to-my-Home/td-p/535...

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @Doody1,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am sorry to hear that you're unhappy with a cable being extended from the omni box to your neighbour's property. This would be a temporary measure using our equipment and as such we are permitted to carry out said work. It will have zero impact on your services. 

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Zach_R wrote:

Hi @Doody1,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am sorry to hear that you're unhappy with a cable being extended from the omni box to your neighbour's property. This would be a temporary measure using our equipment and as such we are permitted to carry out said work. It will have zero impact on your services. 

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

interesting answer - would you care to explain under the laws of trespass how you[thats VM] are permitted to enter private property to do what the hell you like - under your thinking it would be perfectly ok for you to enter a property - ie go through the front door and work on VM infrastructure without permission - i think even that is something you would agree would not happen so what is different here - private property starts at the front gate - the fact the owner was not at home does not give you the right of access - but this is VM - the law is for reference only 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

spell
Knows their stuff

Zach-R you absolutely no NOT 'permitted to carry out said work'. While VM have certain rights of access in relation to the OPs connection this definitely does not encompass the connection needs of a neighbour and a blatant trespass has taken place. Your incorrect response and the signing off for posting requires review by a manager and a suitable correction made. The OP is totally entitled to remove the connection from his/her property and pursue an action for the trespass.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I think we should give @Zach_R the opportunity to justify his statement. There doesn't seem to be anything relevant in the standard Ts and CS.

Go ahead please... 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.